Are sick chicks an everyday occurance?

Waters-flock

Chirping
Dec 17, 2020
Central Texas Hill Country
Please excuse if this is a dumb question but I am new to the world of chickens. I ordered chicks (first time) that should have been delivered last week. The brooder was ready, the coops are built and I was ready, and excited to go. Unfortunately, my chicks couldn't ship (freezing temps) so we had to postpone until June. Now I have time on my hands to read and prepare some more (over preparing is in my nature). I have been reading posts and am starting to get terrified that I need to quickly become a chicken veterinarian before I can care for my baby chicks. I now know what pasty butt is and I know what to do (theoretically) if a chick has legs that are spread out. But trying to learn all the different ailments and issues that chicks come up with is getting a little overwhelming. I'm okay with some first aid (I have two large dogs) but how much of this do I have to master before my chickies arrive? And can I expect issues to come up with each batch?

I would try not to over-think things. There are some real experts here, and some people who do way more than you need to. The important thing is to do the basics and be humane if anything does go wrong. Have the brooder set up and temperature-stable, be ready to have warm water to drink and food. If mail order, cover the shavings/straw with paper towels until the chicks learn food vs bedding. Be flexible with the temperature in case they throw off more body heat than you planned. And if you have small kids or other sensitive people, be aware there may be some DOA chicks no matter how timely the box arrives at the post office. Then if there are problems, by all means post here and the pros can answer it. Good luck!

Expect at least 10% dead loss with any mail order chicks. I've ordered thousands through the mail over the last 20 years, and 10% seems pretty normal. I have never ordered less than 25 at a time, and I have never been shipped less than 27. I think most hatcheries know that 10% loss is normal and over ship to compensate. Every time I order 100, I generally end up getting 107-115. There are generally a couple DOA and a few more die in the first few days, leaving me with really close to the number I ordered to begin with.

After the first week the chicks health is all on the keeper. Properly brooded, fed, and watered chicks turn into healthy chickens. Proper flock management produces a healthy flock. Keep a good well designed coop, provide the proper nutrition, and give them a healthy dose of sunshine and fresh air everyday, and health issues will be kept to a minimum.

With all of that being said, learn to cull. Ruthlessly! One sick hen lost is better than loosing the whole flock.

Overthinking is a habit of mine too.
I've never ordered from MPC but they have excellent reviews. I've actually never ordered chicks through the mail. I have plenty of friends who have, and they have made small orders & all the chicks were delivered alive.
Mine (that weren't hatched here) came from local sources such as feed & chain stores but they were shipped originally. I did drive to Idealpoultry and pick up chicks last fall.
I know losses are considered "acceptable" for most people and that hatcheries will " replace" a chick but I understand your concern is for the welfare of the individual chick.
You are doing all that you can to prepare for them. I want to wish you the best of luck.

I would try not to over-think things. There are some real experts here, and some people who do way more than you need to. The important thing is to do the basics and be humane if anything does go wrong. Have the brooder set up and temperature-stable, be ready to have warm water to drink and food. If mail order, cover the shavings/straw with paper towels until the chicks learn food vs bedding. Be flexible with the temperature in case they throw off more body heat than you planned. And if you have small kids or other sensitive people, be aware there may be some DOA chicks no matter how timely the box arrives at the post office. Then if there are problems, by all means post here and the pros can answer it. Good luck!
Overthinking is my specialty in life but I appreciate the great advice.

Good food + good housing + good husbandry + common sense = healthy chicks most of the time. For the rest of the time, you have us!
You can do this and you will enjoy it.
Where did you order from?
I ordered 8 chicks from My Pet Chicken and am looking forward to their arrival. I am trying to figure out the food, the housing is as predator proof as I can make it, and I’ve raised kids and dogs successfully. Common sense - that remains to be seen.

Back
Top Bottom