Are sick chicks an everyday occurance?

Waters-flock

Chirping
Dec 17, 2020
Central Texas Hill Country
Please excuse if this is a dumb question but I am new to the world of chickens. I ordered chicks (first time) that should have been delivered last week. The brooder was ready, the coops are built and I was ready, and excited to go. Unfortunately, my chicks couldn't ship (freezing temps) so we had to postpone until June. Now I have time on my hands to read and prepare some more (over preparing is in my nature). I have been reading posts and am starting to get terrified that I need to quickly become a chicken veterinarian before I can care for my baby chicks. I now know what pasty butt is and I know what to do (theoretically) if a chick has legs that are spread out. But trying to learn all the different ailments and issues that chicks come up with is getting a little overwhelming. I'm okay with some first aid (I have two large dogs) but how much of this do I have to master before my chickies arrive? And can I expect issues to come up with each batch?

Good food + good housing + good husbandry + common sense = healthy chicks most of the time. For the rest of the time, you have us!
You can do this and you will enjoy it.
Where did you order from?
I ordered 8 chicks from My Pet Chicken and am looking forward to their arrival. I am trying to figure out the food, the housing is as predator proof as I can make it, and I’ve raised kids and dogs successfully. Common sense - that remains to be seen.

I ordered 8 chicks from My Pet Chicken and am looking forward to their arrival. I am trying to figure out the food, the housing is as predator proof as I can make it, and I’ve raised kids and dogs successfully. Common sense - that remains to be seen.
One thing i will say, and others may not agree but, MPC is a middleman of sorts and will buy chicks from other hatcheries to sell to you. This extra day or so may make them a bit worse for wear

I’ve gotten probably over one hundred chicks in the past eleven years. Once they were mailed to the post office, most times I’ve ordered them through our local feed store and I picked up my order there. I can think of for sure three chicks I’ve lost in the brooding stage, each one in different batches. (Not counting the couple my dog killed. :mad:) Most have done well!

Sometimes individual chicks fail to thrive or you may have an order delayed in the mail system, but plenty of times things go largely just fine!

Good food + good housing + good husbandry + common sense = healthy chicks most of the time. For the rest of the time, you have us!
You can do this and you will enjoy it.
:goodpost:

I ordered from My Pet Chicken this year, too! I haven’t gotten my chicks yet so can’t speak to how they will do but I’ve been really pleased by their customer service and the supplies order I got from them was well-priced, well-packed, and arrived quickly!

Back
Top Bottom