1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Are Silkie chicks different???

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by abs45, May 17, 2017.

1. abs45

abs45 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 12, 2017
    Hello all!

Wondering, since silkies don't get "regular" feathers, do I need to be more concerned with night time temps when moving 7&8 wk old chicks from brooder to coop? They haven't been utilizing their heat source in the brooder (in the house) for a while now.

I'm in NC, and night time lows are in 50s & 60s, day time mid-upper 80s.

Thanks!

2. Mylied

Mylied Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2012
    Middle Georgia
    Mine have been fine with cooler temps. They don't do good with wet or really hot weather. I keep mine covered and in the shade.

abs45 likes this.
  3. Beer can

Beer can Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2014
    Upstate NY
    I just had TSC silkies, a lot bigger than what they're supposed to be, but still silkie feathers. They did just fine at that age, they are not as fragile as you'd think. And I had to put them in the coop every night, slow learners, get home well after dark, and scoop them all up and toss them in. Just took forever before they got it. Some nights in cold rain storms looking like drowned rats huddling out in the rain with a perfectly good coop sitting right there :lau
    It was crazy, took months before they started going in themselves :barnie

abs45 likes this.
  4. abs45

abs45 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 12, 2017
    Thanks for the replies. I think I'll try bootin them out this weekend while I'm home. It's covered, with access to sunshine as well. One of the 7 1/2 wk old buffs has been-in my opinion-trying to CROW the past few mornings. Ugh, hope it's the only boy!

Beer can likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by