Are Silkies a Good Fit for My Flock?

My mistake. I didn't realize that standard size silkies were so rare, and that bantams are the usual.

If they are bantams, is it still okay to mix them in with a standard flock?
Bantams can be mixed with standards, I've done it. No harm done.

4+ lbs is usually the range for standard/Largefowl chickens.
LF Silkie roosters 4lbs, & LF Silkie hens 3lbs.
I own Largefowl silkies, & they can exceed that weight.

3lbs, & under is typical for bantam chickens.

Bantams can be mixed with standards, I've done it. No harm done.

4+ lbs is usually the range for standard/Largefowl chickens.
LF Silkie roosters 4lbs, & LF Silkie hens 3lbs.
I own Largefowl silkies, & they can exceed that weight.

3lbs, & under is typical for bantam chickens.
We have a single bantam silkie that we rescued that we are trying to integrate into our small flock of 5 standard hens of all different types. She is the same age (8 mos) as three of the hens. She's been with them almost two weeks, roosting with them for five nights but they still peck her a lot and she just cowers. Also, she doesn't move around very much, just stays where she is for hours. Is it just a matter of time and we need to be patient? I know integrating a single bantam is far from ideal. Any advice would be appreciated, thank you.

We have a single bantam silkie that we rescued that we are trying to integrate into our small flock of 5 standard hens of all different types. She is the same age (8 mos) as three of the hens. She's been with them almost two weeks, roosting with them for five nights but they still peck her a lot and she just cowers. Also, she doesn't move around very much, just stays where she is for hours. Is it just a matter of time and we need to be patient? I know integrating a single bantam is far from ideal. Any advice would be appreciated, thank you.
I never introduce any older(Home raised)then 3-4 month, to my flocks. They integrate better when they're still young, under 8 months.

You can give it more time, or you can try separating in a see, no touch pen before releasing her into the flock again.

I never introduce any older(Home raised)then 3-4 month, to my flocks. They integrate better when they're still young, under 8 months.

You can give it more time, or you can try separating in a see, no touch pen before releasing her into the flock again.
Thank you very much. She was in a no touch pen for a week before we let her mingle with the flock. When we started roosting her with them after about 10 days I think it gave me a false sense of security. Reading about the issues with bantams had me worried, so I very much appreciate your insight. It normally takes several weeks for our pullets to stop getting pecked, so we'll maybe do a combination of what you're suggesting. I just didn't want to put her through it if there's no chance they they will ever integrate her, but it sounds like maybe they will? Thank you again and happy new year!

Thank you very much. She was in a no touch pen for a week before we let her mingle with the flock. When we started roosting her with them after about 10 days I think it gave me a false sense of security. Reading about the issues with bantams had me worried, so I very much appreciate your insight. It normally takes several weeks for our pullets to stop getting pecked, so we'll maybe do a combination of what you're suggesting. I just didn't want to put her through it if there's no chance they they will ever integrate her, but it sounds like maybe they will? Thank you again and happy new year!
You're welcome.

To the OP - it can work, and it can not work, or just kind of work. I think what you need is a plan if it doesn't work. Can you do a separate coop/run for the silkies? Can you harvest a mean old biddy bird?

Your goals and answers are important before you make the decision. I think it is important to be able to solve for a peaceful flock. This may work perfectly, but it may be a stressful wreck. They are individual birds. Always have a plan B ready to go.

If you can't do a plan B, then don't get them.

Mrs K

To the OP - it can work, and it can not work, or just kind of work. I think what you need is a plan if it doesn't work. Can you do a separate coop/run for the silkies? Can you harvest a mean old biddy bird?

Your goals and answers are important before you make the decision. I think it is important to be able to solve for a peaceful flock. This may work perfectly, but it may be a stressful wreck. They are individual birds. Always have a plan B ready to go.

If you can't do a plan B, then don't get them.

Mrs K
This. I have a Marans and a Sussex - down to Sultans and Appenzeller Spitzhaubens. Keep in mind that typical breed personalities aren’t a hard and fast rule. Everyone said that Speckled Sussex’s are super friendly but tend to be picked on because they’re not very dominant. Mine doesn’t like being handled, she’ll only come near me if I have food, and is #2 in the pecking order, above breeds that have a reputation for being more dominant. The flock dynamic works and everyone gets along but when I integrated the new birds, it was a very long, slow integration period. Two weeks of see don’t touch and then supervised mingling.

The setup you have makes a big difference too. You need lots of places inside and outside the coop for new/lower ranking birds to hide and get away from bigger/bossier birds. Have more roost space than you think you will need or you’ll have birds sleeping in nesting boxes. Mine have access to a large portion of my yard so everyone has lots of space. Make sure you have multiple feeders and waterers. This has just as much influence in your flock dynamic as the personalities of your birds.

Back
Top Bottom