Are silkies difficult to breed?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Peaches2, Nov 3, 2016.

1. Peaches2

Peaches2 Out Of The Brooder

I have three right now. A roo and two hens. Planning on getting at least two more hens. I have had chickens for years but when I discovered silkies it was all over! They are the most fascinating little birds. Just adorable!

Are they difficult to breed due to the feathering? Aare there any tricks or problems I should be aware of?

I can't wait to see a nice flock of silkies floating around my yard like dandelion fluff[​IMG]

Thanks for any information.

Peaches2

2. silkieRaiser

silkieRaiser Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 13, 2016
    Seattle, Washington
    My Coop
    I have heard silkies are hard to sex but i have never bred or tried to sex silkies
    thats all i know about breeding them

Last edited: Nov 3, 2016
  3. SleepyHollowFnF

SleepyHollowFnF Out Of The Brooder

My Silkies have just started crowing and two of my original bunch that turned out to be roos are constantly hopping on one of our newer hens. She doesn't lay eggs though yet...which makes me curious what exactly is going on there. Hoping for some silkie eggs within a few months.

I have bought my silkies from several breeders around, it can be done, and the folks I buy from have got it down to a science.

Good luck!

4. Jensownzoo

Jensownzoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2016
    Saint Louis, MO
    I seem to remember that some people who breed Silkies have to trim the "fluff" a bit around the vents of both sexes so that everything ends up meeting up properly.

5. SleepyHollowFnF

SleepyHollowFnF Out Of The Brooder

That makes a lot of sense! We have done a similar trim just to keep their fluff from getting all messed up. I'll definitely give that a try

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by