Are silkies generally quiet birds?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by teach1rusl, Jun 21, 2011.

1. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

I read a post asking about when chickens stop peeping and start sounding grown up, and I realized that I'd just assumed that mine have progressed to clucks and bawks...but really, I don't know, because I never hear them. So I wondered if it was just my silkies, or whether silkies tend to be very quiet birds. I'm use to 'chatty' birds, with most being highly vocal (my australorp is an especially loud talker). But I almost never hear my two silkies make ANY sounds. I mean, I've heard them protest if pecked or if frightened, but I don't hear them chatting. [​IMG]

2. Heathero617

Heathero617 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2011
    Mosheim
    Mine were pretty talkative and my roo crowed all day long, would talk back and forth to the roo on the farm across the way.

3. Melinda35

Melinda35 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2010
    Texas
    The only noise I have heard my silkie make was a crow yesterday morning. [​IMG] I guess I don't have to wonder about that one anymore!

4. akh

akh Out Of The Brooder

Jun 16, 2011
    funny you posted this, but i have had this feeling that my leghorns (would be three months soon) have become pretty quiet, earlier they just wouldn't stop!

5. StephanieD

StephanieD Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2011
    I have one silkie and she is very quiet, pretty much all the time. She did cluck alot while she had her chicks but was an excellent mom.

6. ByeByeBlackBird

ByeByeBlackBird Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2011
    Falls Village CT
    Mine talk to me when i go out to give them their evening food/scraps/treats and refill of their water. They do the same in the mornings, or when i go out and check them in the run. But they could have learned to be more vocal because of the bigger hens i have for laying ( eventually) too. those guys talk non stop.

7. stormylady

stormylady Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 27, 2008
    Illinois
    My hens are pretty quiet but the roos tend to be a little crowity. LOL But all are diff. quieter thatn my other big chickens though. LOL

8. ThePolishPrincess

ThePolishPrincess Chillin' With My Peeps

Mine do talk...but when you compare that to my layers, they make the Silkies look like nothing.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by