Are some Hens better layers

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by souperlady, Sep 15, 2013.

1. souperlady

souperlady New Egg

Sep 15, 2013
    My hen hasn't laid an egg for 7 days now! Her behavior has not changed, she is eating, and I examed her and she feels normal. She goes through the motions of laying, but doesn't lay! Don't know what to do? My other hen lays everyday like clock work. Are some hens better layers than others? Can anyone help!

2. HS Pye

HS Pye Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 13, 2013
    Texas
    What breed is she? How old is she? Yes, some chicken breeds lay better than others.

HS Pye

3. souperlady

souperlady New Egg

Sep 15, 2013
    She is 9 months old and she is a Barred plymouth rock.

4. souperlady

souperlady New Egg

Sep 15, 2013
    She is 9 months old and she is a Barred plymouth rock.

5. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Welcome to BYC [​IMG]

What worries me a little bit is you say the hen is "going through the motions" of laying, without producing an egg. Did you check to see if she's egg bound? There is a list of symptoms here: https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/how-to-diagnose-and-treat-a-egg-bound-hen

Other reasons for non-laying can be molting, broodiness, incorrect feeding, stress, parasites, weather extremes... Some of those will most likely affect the whole flock, or at least more than one hen. Since it's only the one hen she may be broody, or starting a molt. How old is she anyway?

6. Peplers chicks

Peplers chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Sumi I enjoy your advice, it is very educating, and like the links you add

7. HS Pye

HS Pye Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 13, 2013
    Texas
    She could be going through her first molt. Is she losing any feathers?

HS Pye

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by