Are squirrels a threat?

Rhett&SarahsMom

Songster
11 Years
May 8, 2008
They are brave creatures. Not afraid of the cats, certainly not terribly afraid of us. And they dont seem to even notice the girls. But they are noticing the girls food in the run(And yes, I have begun not giving them treat in the run now.)

But they sit on top of the run and chatter. My husband noticed one "digging" in the snow outside of the run trying to get in it.
roll.png

They cant since
1. The ground is frozen solid
2. I ran chicken wire all around the out side of the run, as a apron when we were building it and then buried it under dirt. Wanted to put it down 12" but the tree roots wouldnt allow that. There is also chicken wire UNDER to coop floor so nothing can dig under and up in there either.

The girls do not free range(city chickens) and the run is completely dovered in hardware clothe. But I know how industrious the buggers can be. We have had them get into the house
roll.png

Do I have to worry about them hurting the girls "if" they somehow get into the run?

I could be wrong, but I don't think they would hurt the chickens. I just think they are after their food. Especially if everything is snowed over, food is hard to come by for them. Might I suggest you maybe putting out some food for the squirrels, away from the coop? They have those dried corn on the cob squirrel feeders that you hang in the trees then attach the dried corn cob to it. Maybe that might divert their attention and they will leave the chickens alone. Might be worth a shot, anyways.
smile.png

Quote:
Thanks for the reply

I have been tossing out extra seed and such for them lately. My grandfather would have a fit if he knew. Called them "tree rats" LOL And here I am feeding them! Payday will be a bonanza this week. Bird food, horse food and squirrel food.

Rhett&SarahsMom :

I have been tossing out extra seed and such for them lately. My grandfather would have a fit if he knew. Called them "tree rats" LOL And here I am feeding them! Payday will be a bonanza this week. Bird food, horse food and squirrel food.

That's funny!
lol.png

I just can't see any other way to get them to leave the run/chickens alone. They are just after their food, so diverting them would be the only way. If you tried to trap them, then you would be at it all winter! It's amazing just how many of those little buggers there are!
lol.png

They will not hurt the chickens. They just want the treats and as much as I would love to say if you feed them they will stop they will not they slow down on trying to talk the chickens out of there food maybe. The are not I repeat not a threat to the chickens

Feed the sweet babies feed them lol

wow after reading the thread about rabbits that kill chickens, hummm...those squirrels are in question now.

I doubt it.

Squirrels don't seem very aggressive, I don't know though. Never truly knew a squirrel.

Squirrels are good to eat ya know. Maybe in the frying pan versus near the chicken coop!
tongue.png

Quote:
I have been tossing crackers, sun flower bird seed, bread chunks and cracked corn to them out front on the porch. The neighbors have food out for them on their side porch that faces us. Usually the cats are sitting there within feet of the squirrels and wild birds at the feeders. They dont bother each other. It seems like kind of a little social respect
hmm.png

The cats and dog dont bother Audrey when I bring her in for her daily visit any more either. I guess they figure the same we do "She's just another pet" Or as my older cat(first pet we had upon moving in) is probably thinking "A ha. . Another animal living in my house"
I still dont think she has forgiven us for bringing the dog home 8 years ago. But at least that look of hope has disappeared when we take him out. I think she finally figured out we were always going to return with him.
tongue.png

We have 5 chickens that live at the main rehab site that run wherever they want and a ton of spoiled squirrels they live together just fine lol there the chickens take the squirrels food!

Might I suggest you maybe putting out some food for the squirrels, away from the coop?

Noooooooo! You just end up with a denser population. Paying bribes to the tree rats is like trying to pay protection money to the mob. They always want more more more.

The neighborhood squirrels have started checking out my duck's pen. The minute I see one in there I am putting a contract out on them. They are all dead.​

Back
Top Bottom