Are squirrels a threat?

ALL animals including us eat from "hunger". As proven many times over with wild animals that adapt to live with humans they eat what is convenient to meet their hunger needs. Garbage is not a natural food for bears but it is easy. Gators are not a natural food for pythons but they are consuming gators in the everglades. Squirrels are rodents and rodents eat what ever is close and available. And of that small percentage of tree rats that attempt to eat my babies is Hosta La Vista Baby.

Now do I think they are cute? Yes. They have been in my tree for sometime and I have left them alone except for the one I shot with a air soft pistol just trying to scare it. But this one was not digging for a nut he had his grimy paw reaching through the cage bar trying to reach a 5 week old OEGB cockerel that was trying to take him on to protect the rest. If it wasn't so scary it would have been cute.
ep.gif

But this one was not digging for a nut he had his grimy paw reaching through the cage bar trying to reach a 5 week old OEGB cockerel that was trying to take him on to protect the rest. If it wasn't so scary it would have been cute.

***He got busted!

As I said in an earlier post it is from hunger when there is no other food. And if you look it those numbers that is a low rate.

***I am sure it is low but if they can, they will. if the opportunity presents itself, animals do what animals do.

In the summer, I throw peanuts in the yard to watch the chickens try to guard them from the squirrels. The squirrels here are terrified of the chickens, but will tease the cats, occasionally to their detriment. The last time one got caught it screamed like an eagle. I freaked ran outside to protect the hens and couldn't figure out why there was an eagle under my 18" high deck.

The squirrel didn't make it. I've never seen them go after eggs even the yard eggs. But why would they? I give the 1-2 gallons of peanuts each week. And they get into the birdfeeders for snacks.

Imp

Back
Top Bottom