Are Styrofoam Incubators Any Good?

I started with a Hovabator and still have it and still use it. I have a turner and a fan. the temperature can be hard to get right but once you do, just keep it there. If the incubator gets too hot you can have problems. I had someone messing with the temperature while it was set in a nursing home and someone kept turning it up. that was the only time I had messed up chicks. I don't think you can go wrong with a Hovabator. If you get a used one, you need to look into how to clean it well.

I've seen mixed reviews on the FI. I've seen people say the same as you, and I've seen people say they are great. Too mixed for me. My luck I'd fall in the hate em group...lol
I have the Hovabator 1583, non digital version off the 1588 so it has the picture window, but wafer thermometer, and I LOVE it. It is rock steady. I do have to adjust at lockdown when I add water, but that's it. My old lg 9200, as long as it stayed between 99.5 and 101 I left it alone cause the slightest movement sent it in a tizzy...lol
If you have the digital LG, just make sure you have your own thermometers and hygrometer in the bator and don't rely on the digital displays and watch for temp spikes. Out of all the styro they really are the least reliable. That doesn't mean you can't have good hatches in them, but it takes more monitoring and knowing their quirks to compensate for them. It's the one incubator I won't recommend.

I still need to get a hygrometer, any ideas on where to get one? I have a thermometer. Could I get [hygrometer] at my local TSC? MY fist batch will be in May, you say that you wouldn't recommend Little Giant? If so, why?

I started with a Hovabator and still have it and still use it. I have a turner and a fan. the temperature can be hard to get right but once you do, just keep it there. If the incubator gets too hot you can have problems. I had someone messing with the temperature while it was set in a nursing home and someone kept turning it up. that was the only time I had messed up chicks. I don't think you can go wrong with a Hovabator. If you get a used one, you need to look into how to clean it well.

I agree with you. I am just going to use this used Little Giant Styrofoam incubator just until I can upgrade.

I still need to get a hygrometer, any ideas on where to get one? I have a thermometer. Could I get [hygrometer] at my local TSC? MY fist batch will be in May, you say that you wouldn't recommend Little Giant? If so, why?
You can get the hygrometers as a combo like the accurite, or singly like the ones they sell in the pet stores for reptiles. If you go to TSC ask where the outside thermometers are. Don't ask for one for your incubator because if they are as bright as my store you'll get they don't sell them.
I wouldn't recommend them for all the reasons that I previously listed. The gauges are often off, and the temps are known to swing quite a bit. Too many people have cooked eggs because of the spikes. Like I said, they can have good hatches, but it takes a lot more work, and it's important to have your own verified therms and hygros to make sure everything is right. Never trust the displays on the incubators without verifying them.

You can get the hygrometers as a combo like the accurite, or singly like the ones they sell in the pet stores for reptiles. If you go to TSC ask where the outside thermometers are. Don't ask for one for your incubator because if they are as bright as my store you'll get they don't sell them.
I wouldn't recommend them for all the reasons that I previously listed. The gauges are often off, and the temps are known to swing quite a bit. Too many people have cooked eggs because of the spikes. Like I said, they can have good hatches, but it takes a lot more work, and it's important to have your own verified therms and hygros to make sure everything is right. Never trust the displays on the incubators without verifying them.

If my tractor Supply doesn't carry one, I guess that I will just have to order one.....Did you order yours? If so, where would be a good place to order? I think that I have seen that hatcheries may sell them, I just need to look around. I am a bit nervous about my first hatch......I might need to buy fertile eggs because my Silkie hen is supposedly going to hatch eggs soon, and won't lay fertile eggs till a month or 2. So if I do buy eggs, I really do not want to scramble them internally in the incubator. You know what I mean?
Thank you!
smile.png

​If my tractor Supply doesn't carry one, I guess that I will just have to order one.....Did you order yours? If so, where would be a good place to order? I think that I have seen that hatcheries may sell them, I just need to look around. I am a bit nervous about my first hatch......I might need to buy fertile eggs because my Silkie hen is supposedly going to hatch eggs soon, and won't lay fertile eggs till a month or 2. So if I do buy eggs, I really do not want to scramble them internally in the incubator. You know what I mean?
Thank you! :)

I bought mine in the store. I use the accurite therm/hygrometer combo and two other independent therms.

Back
Top Bottom