Are the eggs dead?

There is only one way to find out, incubate them a while and see what happens. I don't know what stage they are at but after they have stabilized a day or so you can try candling to see what you can see, but I'd be more patient than that before I tossed them. There are plenty of examples on here of broodies being off the eggs for extended periods of time or incubators cooling down and eggs still hatch. I had a broody hen off the nest for probably 8 hours and she still hatched 11 out of 11 eggs.

Different things factor in. The later the stage of development the more heat the embryo's themselves generate. Where they are located can make a difference, the ground can stabilize temperatures but also draw it away. Hopefully the nest was well insulated from the ground. Weather plays a part. I took a quick look at Canberra weather, cool but at least its not raining.

Some of those embryos can be surprisingly tough. It's not a good situation obviously, but don't give up yet. I'd candle them after a day and then wait a week before I candled again. See if you are getting any development. I don't always see movement so go by development more than movement.

Good luck!

They may be ok, as long as you got them in the incubator, and they didn't get too cold. I would look for late hatch though, so don't give up too quick. I'm sorry about your Goose, I'll be praying for her offspring. Are you sure it was a fox? I hear this kind of news from all sorts of people raising all sorts of birds. Is the bottom of the cage wired too or just open? I worried about that with my quail, so I nailed a siding board to the bottom of their Quail Mansion and put a nice piece of fake 1" grass roll in there and then got real grass, hay, weed bushes, etc. to make their environment more real and I change it out and bring new all the time, except the ones they use to hide behind. They love it and there is an unlimited supply of weeds around here. I worried so much about predators that I ended up keeping them inside lol

Back
Top Bottom