Are the eggs good to eat?

Beth21

In the Brooder
6 Years
Jan 7, 2014
We gave our chickens the deworming treatment wazine17 for three days. Started on Saturday, stopped giving them the dewormer on Monday. It is now Wednesday. When can we start eating their eggs again?

I wondered about this for a long time, until I went to a workshop on poultry given by someone from UConn. He said that he had been worming his chickens for 20 years and didn't wait at all to start eating them, and he was also producing eggs commercially. I don't remember his exact reasoning, but it was pretty compelling and made up my mind. I would say, (unless you're selling the eggs and want to deal with the health department) they're fine to eat. The person selling the wazine (I've been told) has to tell you that the eggs can never be eaten again if using it on laying hens. It's just because it hasn't been approved for use on laying hens though. If you feel comfortable eating them, I say go for it.

www.newheritagefarm.wordpress.com

Wazine is given to chickens for 24 hours only, not 3 days. Wazine has a 14 day slaughter withdrawal period. If the chicken is good to eat after 14 days, so are the eggs.

I wondered about this for a long time, until I went to a workshop on poultry given by someone from UConn. He said that he had been worming his chickens for 20 years and didn't wait at all to start eating them, and he was also producing eggs commercially. I don't remember his exact reasoning, but it was pretty compelling and made up my mind. I would say, (unless you're selling the eggs and want to deal with the health department) they're fine to eat. The person selling the wazine (I've been told) has to tell you that the eggs can never be eaten again if using it on laying hens. It's just because it hasn't been approved for use on laying hens though. If you feel comfortable eating them, I say go for it.

www.newheritagefarm.wordpress.com

if thats the case that really limits what we can give our chickens most of the stuff we use isn't approved for chickens its for cows

We gave our chickens the deworming treatment wazine17 for three days. Started on Saturday, stopped giving them the dewormer on Monday. It is now Wednesday. When can we start eating their eggs again?
Like Dawg said.
old.gif
DE is a great natural product but it does not work as a wormer. BTW-Wazine only works for round worms. Curious, why did you give it for 3 days?

Back
Top Bottom