Are the majority of my chicks cockerels? (Lots of pictures)

TheAngryEagleKiwi

Songster
5 Years
Jun 12, 2017
So, I got 2 chicks that are about 7 weeks old (they hatched around 28th of April) and 3 who I'm not 100% sure how old they are, but they are probably 1-2 weeks younger than the first 2.

We were hoping for some nice pullets to add to our flock, but unfortunately, I'm worried that most (if not all) of them are cockerels:(
Since I'm not 100% certain (but not far from), I decided to see what you guys think (I tried in the big thread a while ago with no luck, so I decided to just make my own):

1.Majros: (Bantam?) Polish mix and one of the older two and one I'm pretty certain is a cockerel (I think I've even heard him crow) very forward and is quick to investigate things:
IMG_2887.JPG IMG_2898.JPG IMG_2897.JPG

2.Blända: Sibling/half sibling to the first one, used to think it may be a pullet, but now worried that it's also a cockerel, slightly more timid than it's sibling, but gotten braver:
IMG_2899.JPG IMG_2900.JPG IMG_2891.JPG

3.Veiron (used to be named Vera): Buff laced Wyandotte and the largest of the younger three, almost certain it's a cockerel and have suspected it almost ever since I got him. This one is also pretty curious, but not as much as the other two:
IMG_2884.JPG IMG_2902.JPG IMG_2903.JPG IMG_2905.JPG

4.Ellen: An Araucana (rumpless) is a bit more timid than the other three and most of the time stays in the background and let's the others investigate things:
IMG_2908.JPG IMG_2910.JPG IMG_2885.JPG

5.Cecilia: Blue laced red Wyandotte, the smallest one of the younger chicks. She's probably the shyest one and would rather stay in the background (preferably hiding under or next to Veiron):
IMG_2912.JPG IMG_2913.JPG IMG_2915.JPG IMG_2918.JPG

All of them together:
IMG_2896.JPG IMG_2895.JPG

Thanks beforehand and sorry if the pictures aren't the best, these guys seems to be a bit camera shy:p

1 & 2 are definitely cockerels, 5 seems like a pullet, and 3 & 4 I'm not sure about. Your chickens look wonderful!
Thank you:D

First two are likely males,the two in the middle are possible males but may be pullets,The end guy I think is a female.
1, 2, 3, & 4 look like cockerels, 5 looks like a pullet!
Cecilia is the only pullet, and will need to be removed soon before all the boys start to reach maturity.
1 through 4 look like cockerels, and 5 appears to be a pullet.
That's what I feared:( We'll try to rehome the boys as soon as possible, but before then, we'll try to separate the pullet before they harass her.

I wonder, is it too early to put them (or atleast the pullet and one or two of the cockerels) together with the adult hens? There's 7 adults and most of them are pretty standard sized(so no Brahmas or Jersey giants) We also have a broody, who has been on two eggs for about a week now and wonder if the commotion may cause her to leave? (She doesn't seem to be one of those that get easily disturbed and she's in one of the higher up nesting boxes, so it's not as likely they'll run in there.)
If that doesn't work, we also have three 1 week old chicks. How risky would it be to let her stay with them for awhile?
We do have so we can close of half of their cage, so that she can still see them, but I just want to check the alternatives first.

Thank you all so much for being so quick to answer, I appreciate the help:D:hugs

I agree you still have time yet, I tend to separate at about 12 weeks. I'd be worried about putting them out with the big girls yet as they can be brutal with younger chicks. I'd consider putting her with the younger chicks in a couple of weeks, when they have feathered out and grown a little bit, but if she seems to be maturing then she will be alright with the larger hens. I wouldn't try to integrate her alone; move one or two boys with her to ease the bullying.

Back
Top Bottom