are the Orpington hens the best choice to be broody and be mothers?

This past year we had 2 of our 3 Black Sumatra hens go broody, each one twice!
Also had a hatchery RIR go broody at the same time as one of the Sumatras
big_smile.png

It all depends on the bird. I have a silkie who is going broodie atm and this will be her 3rd time and she started at 5 months. LOL I had 2 BO and neither went broodie. I also have 2 brahma's, 2 sussex, 2 ameraucana's, had 2 SLW and none went broodie. My lakenvelder went broodie and is so far equal to my silkie.

Last edited:
What, roughly is the hatch rate for those of you using a broodie hen? Would you risk expensive eggs, or prefer to whip out the incubator?

Quote:
I believe broodies are better than incubators. I would only buy expensive eggs if she has already gone once so that you know if she is a good, dedicated mom or not. Also it depends on the eggs really. If the are from your own flock you should get a good hatch rate but if you have shipped eggs it will be less no matter if you use a bator or broodie.

Quote:
If your talking expensive eggs - like shipped eggs - then it is a real gamble. Not because of your broody or incubator, but do to handling they receive in transit.

I have split orders of shipped eggs and placed them under a broody (both proven and first timers) and in the incubator and my hatch rate was the same - poor.

My own eggs or a local source - still about even but a great 85 to 90% hatch rate.....the incubator just holds more
big_smile.png

But for me - having a broody do all the work is priceless. She monitors temp, she cares for them after hatch - warming them, encouraging them to eat, showing them how to drink, what to nibble at, and how to interact with both human and bird flock members. Just priceless in my book.

Last edited:
Quote:
It depends on the strain. Non-hatchery birds tend to go broody more often than hatchery birds in my experience.

Correct. Hatchery strains tend to be more nervous and less broody. I knew of some exhibition Leghorns that were broody. Years ago, but had friends with some.

Historicaly Orpingtons have been good broodies, but many have selected against that. A broody does not produce.

If you want to encourage broodies, leave a clutch of nest eggs. About six wooden or plastic should work. Seeing a cluth seems to help trigger them.

How odd. My three BO's are all hatchery birds and went broody three times their first year.

Some instincts are greater in some than others!

Some hens will lay an egg anywhere. We had Buff ducks last year that would literally drop an egg anywhere they were walking. Yet a few would hollow out a nest and lay their clutch. None ever went broody, but at least they made a nest.

Back
Top Bottom