Are the temperaments of males and females different?

GirlsHuntToo

Professional Chicken Chaser
Jul 18, 2023
The Keystone State
So, I have been having a bad experience with my ducks. They have bad attitudes against the chickens, attacking me, attacking/trying to kill each other, and they are ornery beasts and quite stupid actually. They don't go into there coops at night or anything.
I'm looking for some better tips on raising ducks and I was wondering: Are females ducks better behaving and calmer than male ducks?
Tractor Supply's straight run ducks didn't work out, I got 1 female and 3 males. They drown the only female in the swimming pool which was ridiculous and flat wrong. Now they will not even swim in the pool!
All I can say is those little suckers!
If I try again with female ducks, will my experience be a bit different than with the male ducks?
Are ducks just like roosters and hens, hens have better temperaments than roosters?

Yes, the hens have muchhh better temperaments than drakes. My hens have always been braver than the drakes, too, and will walk right up to me for food, no problem. Never attacked me or anything else, unless they were broody, which is fair 🤣

Drakes can be absolutely vile when it comes to mating. Multiple drakes get way too excited about mating and will gang up on a female in the water, like yours have, and can drown them on accident. Actual, consensual mating between ducks is beautiful, though - they do a little dance :)

I’m happy you found a home for your drakes, but I would still separate them from your chickens ASAP. They can kill from mating with chickens.

Yes, the hens have muchhh better temperaments than drakes. My hens have always been braver than the drakes, too, and will walk right up to me for food, no problem. Never attacked me or anything else, unless they were broody, which is fair 🤣

Drakes can be absolutely vile when it comes to mating. Multiple drakes get way too excited about mating and will gang up on a female in the water, like yours have, and can drown them on accident. Actual, consensual mating between ducks is beautiful, though - they do a little dance :)

I’m happy you found a home for your drakes, but I would still separate them from your chickens ASAP. They can kill from mating with chickens.
They have never mated or tried before, they bite them and push them out of the way for food. The chickens avoid them at all, but I will see if I can supreate them.

Yes, I don't own any drakes, and my girls are as friendly as dogs, maybe more and the only thing is that they are a little on the loud side. Your female was probably not friendly because she was stressed from all the males. They are also champion layers, and I have pekins, not campbells!.

Yes, I don't own any drakes, and my girls are as friendly as dogs, maybe more and the only thing is that they are a little on the loud side. Your female was probably not friendly because she was stressed from all the males. They are also champion layers, and I have pekins, not campbells!.
Thanks! I really want duck eggs so maybe I'll try again.

Back
Top Bottom