Are there any breeds that are specifically NOT heat tollerant?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by safarichick101, Dec 30, 2009.

1. safarichick101

safarichick101 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 1, 2009
    College Station TX
    Just curious. I assume chanteclers would be among them.

2. wing it

wing it Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2009
    long island
  3. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Every time I see someone wanting absolutes about chickens (or for that matter anything), I find that there are always exceptions to the rule. There are ways to deal with just about any environmental extreme, heat included.

4. fowltemptress

fowltemptress Frugal Fan Club President

Jan 20, 2008
    I've had more trouble with silkies than any other breed having trouble with the heat. I think their feathers just make it harder to regulate body temperature. As it is I'm down to one silkie, and she's the only reason I find myself putting frozen bottles out on hot days. Everyone else does just dandy with a bit of shade and plenty of drinking water.

Edited because I felt the need to clarify that I'm down to one silkie by choice . . . I didn't mean to imply they've been dying off in the heat.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2009
  5. wing it

wing it Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2009
    long island
    Quote:to right

6. Freeholder

Freeholder Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2008
    Klamath County, OR
    I do agree that there are ways to deal with any environmental extreme -- people raise chickens, a bird whose natural environment is tropical, in sub-Arctic Alaska. But the only breed that I've had that had difficulty with the heat was my Cuckoo Marans. I lost three hens to heat, two one year and one the next year. They had shade and water, and none of my other birds seemed to have any problems. Maybe it was just that strain of Marans, I don't know. But I'd certainly take special precautions for them if I had them again, while I don't need to do anything special for my other birds.

Kathleen

7. kathyinmo

kathyinmo Nothing In Moderation

I am new to poultry. Last summer I received a trio of 1 year old Cuckoo Marans hens and a roo. The heat was in the 100s for over a week, impacted by the stress of the move, I lost one hen one day 2 or 3. Did not have a problem with the others. Their coop was located in the shade, as well. I dunno .... just my experience.

8. Bantimna

Bantimna Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 29, 2009
    South Africa
    Quote:What she said

9. ultasol

ultasol Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2009
    SE Washington
    Cornish rockX does not tolerate heat well. I move my meaties in the shop when it gets really hot if they are getting close to full size, as they are prone to problems in heat.

10. fancbrd4me02

fancbrd4me02 Chillin' With My Peeps

I had trouble with sultans in the heat. Now my pens are all roofed with corregated metal and screened. I also have misters in all the pens.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by