Are there any breeds that are specifically NOT heat tollerant?

Orpingtons and cochins can suffer in the heat because all the feathers and such. I would think Chanteclers would be bad in the heat because they were developed for extreme cold....

Edited 'cuz Im dumb;)

Last edited:
I live in one of the hottest most humid parts of the country, swampy south Georgia, with a little shade and fresh water, I have never lost a bird to heat related problems. When it's 100 with 90% humidity, just bare in mind that they need to be cared for and treated properly, dont cut corners, mainly just be sure they have shade and water daily and you'll have no problem. I've have or have had all the breeds mentioned as well as Arctic sea ducks and many other cold climate waterfowl here with no problems. With a little precaution, like Sonora said, all can be cared for in any extreme of climates.

It gets a bit toasty here from time to time....

Cornish x Rock cross seem to struggle in the summer, which I would attribute more to their fast growth genetics than their underlying breeds, since both Rocks and Cornish individually seem to do fine. I would say that the most problems come from birds with big fluffy feathers - orpingtons for example. Just sometimes seems hard for them to cool down, so, tighter feathering would be desired.. I would say that really dark or black birds tend to be at disadvantage unless there is a lot of shade handy. However barred rocks or rhode island reds tend to do fine. Large single combs seem to help somewhat - almost like a radiator or something. White or buff colors seem to do well also for obvious reasons, assuming you can keep away the hawks which spot those little bundles of white from a mile away. Really I haven't seen too many breeds that can't be managed, assuming good water and plenty of shade, as well as cover from predators. Losses from heat only are really quite low on any breed - even the Cornish cross or the Orpingtons. Mostly use common sense and I think most breeds of chicken will do fine in the heat.

What amazes me is how people can raise what are naturally tropical jungle fowl in the -20 degree weather of the northern states, Canada, and Alaska.

Quote:
All the chanties I have met have as little problem with 40-45C(thats over 100F I think....) like say my leghorns. But they do better then my leghorns in -45C.

Meat-mutants would be my guess as least heat tolerant bird. On hot summer days those seem to be always the ones where I will loose 1 or 2 to heatstress.

Back
Top Bottom