Are there any fruits that are NOT ok for my chickens?

Southern28Chick

Flew The Coop
12 Years
Apr 16, 2007
I have feed my chickens watermelon (which they love), cantalope (spelling?) and bananas. Is there any fruit they can not have?

Well, I gave mine blueberries today and they loved them. they also love all the above mentioned...but...today, it was extrememly hot and I had been brushogging for hours...I made some orange juice mixed with vanilla ice cream...I call them orange cream sickle shakes...I was outside and dropped a big spoonful on the ground and the chickens went nuts over it.
lau.gif

I've given mine banana peels, grapes, cantelope rinds, apples, and pears. Not that I know it to be right but they seem to love it with no ill effects that I am aware of. Most of the fruit is something I wouldn't eat but not to the point of nasty. Just wanted to make it clear so y'all don't think that I buy fruit just to give to the chickens.
wink.png

Tomatoes and Avacodoes are bad for parrots, I dont know if they are bad for chickens or not, maybe someone could enlighten all of us on that???

Hi! I have given mine grapes too. They loved it. I make drop biscuits (i live in the south!) like my grandma and mom use to make. Anyway, if they are not eaten that morning to me they don't taste the same. The chickens love them crumbled up! I fixed to corndogs for my son and I for lunch. He won't eat the bread coating, I throw that out to the chickens too. They love bird seed thrown out to scratch at too.
What else do people offer there chickens?

My chicken eat left over tomato ends and advocados. I give them everything under the sun, including things like raw potato peels. Never had a problem. They even get into rotting stuff and peck at it....

They are pretty smart I think. They only eat what is good. I don't see them eating the peels ever and so it just helps fertilize the soil.

Back
Top Bottom