Are there any fruits that are NOT ok for my chickens?

Looks to me like the list says tomato vines are toxic. They are toxic to people also. I believe the fruit is ok. mine love them. It seems to me like most plants that are toxic they just won't eat. Mine would not eat those smooth caterpillars that are on my dill plants. Some kind of butterfly. Just turned their beaks up at them. Ha. Guess they might be poisionous to them.

Sorry butterflies but I need my dill for pickling.

I've always given my girls tomato tops and when I'm gardening if I find a tomato that has been attacked by something I throw it over to them. They love'em. I didn't know it was bad for them. Mine won't eat the onion skins either. They try to. Grab'em and run. Starts a riot everytime.

Quote:
Hi mudhen,
I gave mine the peeling of a granny smith apple and half a head of cabbage. According to this site I am not sure if it was unsafe or not, they have "fancy words that I don't know the meaning to! " lol. Can you or anyone out there shed some light to as if I did harm to my girls or not? Thank you for the site also! It is helpful:)

Wendy-
Apple seeds get a bad rap for having a teeny bit of cyanide in them. They are said to be harmful to humans but I’ve eaten them w/ no ill effect. So the skins of your granny smith’s aren’t ‘cyanogenetic’ at all.

Cabbage (and Brussel sprouts and kale and cauliflower) are known for causing thyroid problems. So if your chickens have goiters they should avoid ‘goitrogenic’ foods. LOL.

It seems you’re OK. And obviously you’ve had no problems so why not continue?

Hi devora,
Well that is helpful. Thank you, I have been keeping a eye on them. Which I usually do anyway, but just a little closer! So cool here at BYC. Thank you again!

Does anyone's chickens eat GARLIC?

YUM, you might get Garlic flavoured EGGS!

Seriously, Garlic is so good to keep away parasites I thought it might be good to give to chickens in small doses....

Hi chelly,
hmmm, I don't know. But it would be interesting to find out! Garlic eggs do sound yummy, especially in a omlet with some cheese and bell peppers and mushrooms! Oh, almost lunch time! No wonder I am wanting to talk food! lol

That's true, and garlic helps keep the odor down in your coop.
(I came up with a feed mixture that included garlic for that reason and for the health benefits of both the hens, and what they pass on into the eggs.)

As far as that toxic plant site, I too have a hard time with some of those names.
he.gif

But I have learned two things from the wise folk on this board:
1) Chickens don't often eat what is bad for them in great amounts. (Some instinct I suppose. i.e. I have a honeysuckle bush growing on the side and top of the run and while the girls did initially peck and pull at some of the leaves, they don't touch them at all now.)
2) A lot of the things listed (such as cabbage and kale which a lot of people feed them) are not bad as long as they are in small amounts and not part of their constant diet. Many of those listed create problems in cumulative amounts.

Last edited:
hi mudhen,
Gosh I am so addicted to this site! I gotta slow down! lol
So what kind of garlic are we talking about fresh or can it be bought ground up in the spice section of the store? I also keep the jarred garlic too.
big_smile.png

I have found that chickens won't eat what is not good for them and will scarf up anything else. Mine love tomatoes and I plant one cherry tomato every year for them. They love melons berries and pretty much anything you plant just for you. I had 18 pears on my dwarf tree last year and I found duck bill shaped bites out of every one. There were even some pear cores hanging on the tree by the stem. My geese ate the 6 cherries we got last year.

...I made some orange juice mixed with vanilla ice cream...I call them orange cream sickle shakes...

That sounds REALLY good!

Just wanted to make it clear so y'all don't think that I buy fruit just to give to the chickens

I thought everyone did that.
baghead.gif

Back
Top Bottom