Are there any Houdans that look like the APA standard?

Like any other breed, I guess, some people just breed whatever they have and don't worry about the standard and that is fine if that is what they want. I am not sure I am on the same group on yahoo but I might be. I don't go to any of my yahoo groups much because they don't get many posts.
hmm.png

Oh found it. You might try Rare Poultry Breeders, lots more members there.

Last edited:
i'm not sure if this helps you out at all. i got 10 mottled houdans from Cackle Hatchery back at the end of May and this is the only pullet out of the group of 6 i kept for myself. i'm not fully sure on the APA standard but she has a nice poof on her that i was impressed that she seemed to look like the correct type, just a lot of white on her body now.

oh, she has her 5 toes, but i did receive a male that had a 6th on one foot, the rest were fine.

Freya
25630_debs_118.jpg

25630_1freya11-14-09.jpg

Last edited:
My hens have a lot of white as well, just something else to work on here. My roo is nice and dark so maybe I can get a better color on some of the offspring. I have another roo from a hatchery and his toes are good but I am not sure I like his type, he is not quite old enough for me to tell yet whether he is worth keeping or not, but I am doubting it right now.

That's a beauty Chickie'sMoma! But according the the APA book, it has too much white. And that is what I am trying to get to the bottom of. Do standards change? What if the 1904 standard is gone??

I downloaded the 1904 book of standards from google books today. The link was posted on the heritagebreed yahoo group. Look for it. It's a great read during a snow storm.

Last edited:
Quote:
In my eyes, close. But it lacks consistency with the pattern. I don't want to hurt anyone's feelings but I wish everyone would be looking at the book's picture (actually a drawing) like I am. The good thing, if we're close we can figure out how to get it back. (of course it will take some work)

Back
Top Bottom