Are there any Mellow friendly standard breeds that lay WHITE eggs?

chick4chix

Songster
11 Years
Jun 4, 2009
So Cal
I've been looking at all the breeds and there seems to be a correlation between flightiness and white eggs. All the breeds known for docile friendly behavior seem to be brown or tinted eggs- just curious if anyone knows of a great pet-type chicken that lays white eggs- standard size. Thanks
smile.png

Campines, perhaps. I don't have any, but I've been thinking about looking for some.

I've also heard good things about Dorkings, you might want to search the site for people mentioning them and ask about them.

I've only ever had brown layers ... my grandfather had Leghorns, they were mildly psychotic.
smile.png

When I told my mother we'd gotten chickens, she said something like "why would you do that when you don't have to" ... I blame the Leghorns she grew up with.

Last edited:
Personally I have 8 Leghorns and they are the friendliest of all the chickens we have I go outside and they come and stand on my feet ( kind of a pain when you are trying to get things done)
I didn't know that Leghorns were bad as pets until I read it here on BYC. And Eggs they lay more eggs than any of the other breeds I have. They don't eat very miuch. I like Leghorns.

Chinese Silkie chickens lay White eggs and are a very affectionate breed. I have one and she is absolutely adorable with all her fluffy feathers!

My Campine is "active" and like to free-range but is a very nice chicken! I can pick her up without a fuss. She lays about 4 white eggs a week and is smaller in size.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone-

chicksdigit, You are very lucky with your leghorns, I had 8 of them once (raised as chicks) and they always tried to commit suicide (flying straight into a brick wall and screaming) whenever I would change their feeders, clean out the coop or come near them- ha! After that, I was so over their flightiness!
smile.png
I can relate to your mom, wombat!

I have 4EE's and 2 Wyandottes now- all of which are super friendly, come running over to me when I come out- but wanted some white eggs to have a full spectrum of egg colors. I have blue, green,pink, and brown. I suppose I could go with silkies who have the reputation of being mellow- but they are bantams (does anyone raise silkies along with heavies?)
Thanks again:)

Last edited:
Quote:
Our campine is the most flighty, high-strung bird we have. All the others are friendly, most will jump in your lap. She just runs and runs and runs. Once you FINALLY corner her, she's fine, doesn't fight.

Back
Top Bottom