Are there anything in these eggs?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by kat_lacroix, Oct 3, 2009.

1. kat_lacroix

kat_lacroix New Egg

Oct 3, 2009
    I left a broody hen alone on some eggs that are due Oct. 10 and I never really messed with them. I have no clue whether they were fertilized or not, although I do have a rooster.

Today I candled and i'm not too sure what to look for. She's sitting on 11 eggs and all of them looked like one of these two or I could not see through them at all.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The first two are the same egg.

2. Cherlyn

Cherlyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2009
    Alconbury, England
    I think we need some close-up in-focus macro shots. [​IMG] To me, those looked clear, but I could be completely wrong because the pic are a bit fuzzy. If you cannot see through them, then keep them! [​IMG]

~Cherlyn

3. kat_lacroix

kat_lacroix New Egg

Oct 3, 2009
    So not being able to see through them is a good thing?

I need a brighter light.

But, the ones I could see through I didn't see any veins (these were usually the spotty ones). None of them stink. Should I keep them?

4. mulia24

mulia24 Chillin' With My Peeps

same with cherlyn, not clear at all. can't see them. [​IMG]

5. Cherlyn

Cherlyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2009
    Alconbury, England
    Porous (spotted) eggs can be tricky - they can retain too much humidity and absorb more bacteria. I personally dip the pointy end of the egg into candle wax, to minimize these potential deal-breakers. It can also be quite hard to see veining in porous eggs. But, if nothing is weeping or smelling, then keep them. [​IMG]

Try a Mag-Lite! [​IMG]

~Cherlyn

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by