are there ever "bunkbeds" re: a coop's nesting "stalls"?

For your heat question, you will not need heat, but you do need good ventilation. You will need a heated waterer for a couple months of winter. I'm near Charlotte and use a 250 watt stock tank deicer, for my 5 gallon waterer with horizontal nipples.

Yep it's a community nest box, and the first one was too low and too shallow so I made a new one taller and deeper so the pullets could move around and stand up. I did peek in yesterday just as a pullet laid her egg standing up. I've seen 2 pullets side by side facing the side wall before. I've never heard a squawk coming from the nest box even though they definitely have a pecking order outside the nest box.
JT
Even in small nest boxes multiple hens will get in the same nest box. This one had 3 piled in together in a crate :)
3 hens in a box.JPG

Social animals, or just crazy birds?
Not really social behavior. They just have favorite nests. One hen had gone broody (the black one on the bottom) in the nest and refused to get up. The other two were just determined to use the same nest. They try drive other hens off their favored nest but if the two hens are about equal and can't drive each other off they will share (usually with some cranky talk going on and a bit of pecking). Sometimes suddenly a favorite nest will go out of favor and an unused nest becomes the new favorite. Sort of like humans, one year bell bottoms are in, the next they are out.

Back
Top Bottom