Are there flowers chickens won't eat?

My girls don't usually eat my plants but they do enjoy digging them up. This year I'm fencing off practically everything, mainly because we have visiting Canada geese and their goslings, which remind me of cattle with feathers, they trample anything they walk across. Also while I enjoy gardening with my chickens, you really want to avoid fresh bird poop in a garden you plan to harvest from in the next couple months.
D.gif

Could you all post the type of chickens you have (unless your signature already indicates that)?

Maybe certain types of birds like certain flowers...just a guess...

I have a mix of the flowers previous mentioned as not being eaten and those that the birds love. My girls will find themselves in the run if they mess with my flowers. JS.

Last edited:
Can you put duck and chicken poop right in your flower beds? What about the duck pool water too? This will be my first time with them both so I wanted to asked before I kill everything I have worked so hard to go.
You need to compost the chicken waste first.

As far as flowers that chickens won't eat, here's a list from our garden: Lantana, verbena, Autumn sage, salvia, catmint, society garlic, canna, lavender, coreopsis, echinacea, shasta and blackfoot daisies, daylilies, plumbago, and summer phlox. We have a variety of chickens, and they do not bother any of these plants.

You need to compost the chicken waste first.

As far as flowers that chickens won't eat, here's a list from our garden: Lantana, verbena, Autumn sage, salvia, catmint, society garlic, canna, lavender, coreopsis, echinacea, shasta and blackfoot daisies, daylilies, plumbago, and summer phlox. We have a variety of chickens, and they do not bother any of these plants.
How do you compost the chicken waste?

I use galvanized metal trash cans with holes drilled in the sides. You can purchase a compost bin or make your own from a variety of things. I throw in all of the chicken manure, old pine shavings from the coop, leaves, fruit and vegetable scraps, pine needles, and coffee grounds. -let it "cook" and turn it weekly, and after about 12 weeks you have an excellent compost/fertilizer soil.

they absolutely luuuuuuuuuuuv lemongrass. and we use alot of lemon grass in cooking and our thai fighting chickens are now half a year old and tall, and they jump up to grab anything green... so ive fenced in all our pepper plants, lemongrass and green onions. they eat anything. bugs. lizards. grass. flowers. marigolds. lanna (wormwood), geraniums/pelargoniums, whateer they can get their giant beaks on to. all my hanging plants are trimmed at thai chicken head height (like owning goats).
neighbhors are now less friendly with our grazing so going tohave to fence them in before they deccimate the collective back yard. even lemon tree leaves have been pecked. branches of mulberry trees get deleaved in minutes. many of my succulents. funnily enough aloe vera hasnt been touched. maybe too thick leaved?

they hate olives. (they live under an olive tree). they all pick up the dried olives and spit them out.
we dont need a compost pile. the chickens compost everything from cooked rice to leftover kitchen stuff. including egg extras.

My chickens love to eat flowers. They eat the whole plant down to base. When I plant flowers they eat them. Inpatients, pansies, geraniums, you name it, they eat it.
Ordinarily this would not be a problem for me because I like chickens more than flowers. However, my wife greatly prefers flowers to chickens. She has threatened to eat the chickens if they eat any more flowers. (I hope jokingly)

They free range and I don’t want to keep them penned. The fun for us is to have them running around the yard.

Any suggestion on flowers they won't eat?

Thank You!
PLASTIC AND POSSIBLY SILK EVERY THING ELSE IS ON THE MENU!!
FACE IT YOU YARD IS NOTHING BUT A SALAD BAR!!
LOL

Last edited:
I wonder about this, too, since between chickens and dogs my once-lush lawn is now, well, dirt. There is a clump of yarrow that the chickens don't even go near (this is the yellow-head variety), so I wonder if a list could get going of what plants are 'safe' around chickens. So far from this thread I've picked up:

sage/mints of most kinds
verbena
hybiscus
hollyhock
iris

Addition - plants that are not onlyh safe but that chickens won't eat/aren't interested in

Any others out there?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom