Are there other "bantam" turkey varieties?

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by dentech, Jan 6, 2012.

1. dentech

dentech Out Of The Brooder

Oct 30, 2011
    I currently have Midget Whites. I'm hoping to get some Beltsville eggs in the spring. Are there other small varieties? I read somewhere that a gentleman in Texas had downsized a bronze variety. I'm new to turkeys and I think I like the smaller varieties, but, it would be nice to have some color.

2. dentech

dentech Out Of The Brooder

Oct 30, 2011
    OK, here's another question then. Has anyone used a Midget White tom to a Bourbon Red hen for example? I assume that would be better than the reverse. What color poults would result? What are the color genetics for turkeys when a white tom is used? I'm new to this and trying to learn. Thanks in advance for help.

3. Ducks and Banny hens

Ducks and Banny hens Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 22, 2011
    On a little Farm.
    I don't know of any banny turkeys (other than the ones you listed), but the color genetics are:
    - B gene (bronze) {b+ - b^l - B} There are three; Bronze, Black-winged Bronze, and Black (Midgets carry black, bourbons carry bronze)
    - The R gene (red) {R) Bourbons cary this, too
    - The C gene (white) (c) Midgets carry this

So,
    Midget (B/B; c/c) + Bourbon Red (b+/b+; R/R) =
    Black-Red (harvest Gold) (B/b+; R/r+; C+/c)

4. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    The only other small one I know of is the Royal Palm. I have not raised them, but they are not supposed to have quite the breast of the Midget or Beltsville.

5. Ducks and Banny hens

Ducks and Banny hens Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 22, 2011
    On a little Farm.
    Perhaps that's how big there meat is dressed, but they physically are standard, about equal to standard bronze.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by