Are there professionals that will process small lots of birds?

Denninmi

Songster
10 Years
Jul 26, 2009
Just wondering. Are there slaughterhouses/butchers that would clean and process small lots of meat birds (say, 25 or 50) raised by a homeowner for personal consumption?

And, if so, do they charge a reasonable fee, or is it cost prohibitive?

How would you go about finding them?

Last edited:
You need to post where you are. There is not anyone here where I live. I tried to find someone and ended up doing it myself. I do know that in some areas there are places that will do it for you.

Post where you are and someone will be able to tell you.

smile.png

Ask at the feed store and ask the market manager at the grocery store. Ask people who live in the country and have chickens.

Find your local 4H or AG extension they should be able to help you in this matter. Most if not all of the people using those offices are dealing with livestock in one form or another.

Another option is to find someone with a plucker and goto town for a vacuum sealer. I didn't have a problem butchering them after I tasted them in lemon pepper from the broiler just a side note.

Quote:
Ya, thats roughly what it is here. If you want to raise some birds to sell I would recommend having them done in a government inspected facility if possible.

If you live close to where Amish live, they do it cheap. This time of year they should have signs up saying they process birds. Long around I know in our area they do it for 1.50 to 2.00$

Back
Top Bottom