Are there "special" chicks?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by CaGoatLady, May 15, 2011.

1. CaGoatLady

CaGoatLady Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 10, 2009
    Auburn, CA
    Out of the 13 chicks that have hatched over the past month, six of the older have gone back to their original coop, but four smaller and one of the larger ones are still here. I kept back the one older chick because she (wishful thinking) has had some sort of special attachment to me for a long time. I know all of the chicks were imprinted on my voice, and I made sure to hold all of them equally, but this one girl, Beatrice, asks me to take her out and hold her all the time. So, every morning, when I go to their little cage in my living room to check on food and water, there's Beatrice, at the door, waiting for me to take her out. Beatrice and I then sit at my computer with my coffee for a good hour and she is so content just to be with me and makes a purring sound as she goes in and out of sleep.
    I guess I will have to keep this girl at my house now. [​IMG]

2. Denninmi

Denninmi Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2009
    It sounds like you have a friend for life there.

3. klmclain1

klmclain1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2011
    Awww... that is soooo sweet!

4. azygous

azygous True BYC Addict

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    You've discovered that some chickens are great little politicians. I have a couple like that, and one in particular, Flo an EE, will always be first at my feet, looking up directly into my eyes, going "caw-cawwwww! Pick me up!" She was like that from day one, and would hop out of the brooder onto my head or shoulder. Now she'll settle into my arms and be happy to remain as long as I let her.

Yeah, there are special chicks, all right.

5. QuinnP

QuinnP Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2010
    Oregon
    My wee Arlo bonded with me, he is a very special roo.

6. the3ofus+oursixchicks

the3ofus+oursixchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2011
    alabama
    awwwwww i love it!!! i have 2 buff orpingtons rosie and daisy and one barred rock petunia, that are 4 weeks old. there is one particulare buff that will come running when i open my bathroom door. she jumps up in my lap and i can love on her like she is a puppy or kitten!:lovewell they all come running but when i sit down to spend a little time with them this one her name is rosie. i had them in a big storage container without a lid of course so now they have decided that they can come and go as they please. i dont have the heart to put them in it with something over it so they cant get out. they love running around so much. so they think they own my bathroom now;) well..........i guess they kinda do.[​IMG] i also have 3 more bigger chicks around 10 weeks or more older i think. 2 barred rock flora and merryweather and one i am not sure of but her name is foxy brown.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by