Are these 2 eggs from the same chicken?

Momma2jnw

In the Brooder
5 Years
May 2, 2014
I have 5 girls roughly the same age (~22 weeks). One of my barred leghorns started laying this week, small little white eggs. The other day I found my first brown egg, two days later another brown egg but a totally different shade of brown. Are these two eggs from the same chicken or different?

My guess would be different chickens. I have lots of brown layers, and while the size of their eggs can vary, none of mine have had that great of a color difference.

That's what I figured. Is it normal when they are first starting to lay that they will lay one egg and then none for 2 days afterwards?

Yes, very normal! BUT just in case, check the whole run/yard just to make sure they haven't found a secret nest somewhere else.

They probably do have a secret nest, our backyard is small but there's a ton of places with tall grass that they could be laying in. I keep searching for eggs but haven't found any yet.

When it comes to pullets first laying they aren't all good at "normal". Some are a bit erratic in frequency to start with, some lay weird shapes and sizes, and some lay double yolkers.
The eggs are more likely from two different birds but I do have a hen that lays different shades of brown eggs so it might be that you do too.

Does the lighter egg look like from an RIR or a barred rock? I'm not exactly sure if my other barred leghorn will lay white or brown eggs. Here's a pic of my white layer. Her sister has a bit more black color.

Egg colour is usually a breed characteristic, so I would expect two birds of the same breed to lay the same colour egg.
The colour is only added on the outer layer of the shell while the egg is forming which is why the shade can vary between eggs of the same hen.

Leghorns will only lay white eggs. Barred leghorn and barred rock (brown eggs) are not that easy to tell apart until they develop their lobes. Leghorns should also have bigger combs.
The one in the front is a BR with a small red lobe. The one behind her is a leghorn (brown) with a big white lobe. The little egg looks more like a rock egg based on my hens. My rocks have the most perfect round eggs.

I found a pic of the two of them together. The one on the right is the one in question for the light brown egg. The one on the left is laying white eggs.

Back
Top Bottom