Are these 2 eggs from the same pullet?

TXmama4boys

Songster
10 Years
Jul 4, 2013
Texas Hill Country
I have 9 (22 week old) pullets. We have 1 that started laying a couple days ago. I assumed she was the only one laying. We found the egg on the left this morning and the egg on the right around 2 pm today. It has to be another Pullet laying, right? Do they usually have consistent shades of color? Also, it was in the middle of the run. Our Olga has been laying in a specific nesting box. Do they usually change up where they lay? Sorry for all the questions. I am a newbie. Thanks!

When you're hens are about the same age, and one starts laying eggs, it is normal that the other ones start laying too.

First eggs are often a bit strange or fail in some way or another.

Preferences for a place to lay an egg can be different and form can differ.

The difference in colour is because a second pullet started to lay eggs. The other colour is as far as I know because youre pullets are of mixed race or of different race. At least my Dutch hens and other hens with white ears lay all / always white eggs. Many other races /types lay brown eggs.

It is possible that a hen that should lay brown eggs has a problem with pigmenting though.

Last edited:
T
When you're hens are about the same age, and one starts laying eggs, it is normal that the other ones start laying too.

First eggs are often a bit strange or fail in some way or another.

Preferences for a place to lay an egg can be different and form can differ.

The difference in colour is because a second pullet started to lay eggs. The other colour is as far as I know because youre pullets are of mixed race or of different race. At least my Dutch hens and other hens with white ears lay all / always white eggs. Many other races /types lay brown eggs.

It is possible that a hen that should lay brown eggs has a problem with pigmenting though.

Thank you!

Clearly different pullets. The eggs are different colors, shape and size. A first-time layer will typically lay every 3-4 days for the first few weeks than get on a more consistent schedule

Back
Top Bottom