Are these 2 eggs from the same pullet?

TXmama3boys

Songster
Jul 4, 2013
Texas Hill Country
I have 9 (22 week old) pullets. We have 1 that started laying a couple days ago. I assumed she was the only one laying. We found the egg on the left this morning and the egg on the right around 2 pm today. It has to be another Pullet laying, right? Do they usually have consistent shades of color? Also, it was in the middle of the run. Our Olga has been laying in a specific nesting box. Do they usually change up where they lay? Sorry for all the questions. I am a newbie. Thanks!

TXmama3boys

Songster
Jul 4, 2013
Texas Hill Country

BDutch

Natural
6 Years
5 Years
May 19, 2015
the Netherlands
My Coop
My Coop
When you're hens are about the same age, and one starts laying eggs, it is normal that the other ones start laying too.

First eggs are often a bit strange or fail in some way or another.

Preferences for a place to lay an egg can be different and form can differ.

The difference in colour is because a second pullet started to lay eggs. The other colour is as far as I know because youre pullets are of mixed race or of different race. At least my Dutch hens and other hens with white ears lay all / always white eggs. Many other races /types lay brown eggs.

It is possible that a hen that should lay brown eggs has a problem with pigmenting though.

Last edited:

TXmama3boys

Songster
Jul 4, 2013
Texas Hill Country
T
When you're hens are about the same age, and one starts laying eggs, it is normal that the other ones start laying too.

First eggs are often a bit strange or fail in some way or another.

Preferences for a place to lay an egg can be different and form can differ.

The difference in colour is because a second pullet started to lay eggs. The other colour is as far as I know because youre pullets are of mixed race or of different race. At least my Dutch hens and other hens with white ears lay all / always white eggs. Many other races /types lay brown eggs.

It is possible that a hen that should lay brown eggs has a problem with pigmenting though.

Thank you!

Percheron chick

Crowing
8 Years
Apr 12, 2013
Hudson, Colorado
Clearly different pullets. The eggs are different colors, shape and size. A first-time layer will typically lay every 3-4 days for the first few weeks than get on a more consistent schedule

Top Bottom