Are these all Cuckoo Marans?

Absolutely!
There's nothing wrong with hatchery stock! You may get more eggs from these birds, because that's a priority for hatching lots of chicks. Breeder stock, especially where the priority is show quality looks, may not produce all that well.
Egg color is another issue with Marans hens; the darkest eggs come when the breeder selects for that trait, and it may not be compatible with higher egg production, as hatcheries are interested in producing.
Always there are trade-offs!
Mary

The three darker ones look like my hatchery quality cuckoo marans - the other one seems to have more of a mix- the head/neck look like a barred rock but the rest of the feathers look more like a cuckoo marans. Always possible the wrong hen jumped in the wrong pen and made a mix at the hatchery. :D

Absolutely!
There's nothing wrong with hatchery stock! You may get more eggs from these birds, because that's a priority for hatching lots of chicks. Breeder stock, especially where the priority is show quality looks, may not produce all that well.
Egg color is another issue with Marans hens; the darkest eggs come when the breeder selects for that trait, and it may not be compatible with higher egg production, as hatcheries are interested in producing.
Always there are trade-offs!
Mary
Great. Thanks!

The three darker ones look like my hatchery quality cuckoo marans - the other one seems to have more of a mix- the head/neck look like a barred rock but the rest of the feathers look more like a cuckoo marans. Always possible the wrong hen jumped in the wrong pen and made a mix at the hatchery. :D
Haha! Good info. Thank you!

Could the lighter colored bird be a cockerel?
Mary
Here's a side view. It's a little blurred. I'm not sure why she/he has such long feathers on the sides.

Attachments

• IMG_9269-sm.jpg
    IMG_9269-sm.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 14
Here's a side view. It's a little blurred. I'm not sure why she/he has such long feathers on the sides.

That's all girl, all the way. At 17 weeks a cockerel would have a huge comb, thick legs, and you'd have all the fancy tail feathers to boot. Might be a mix of breeds but definitely a girl.

Edited to add: I have a couple offspring that feathered out like that - not sure why either. Could be a function of the possible mixed breed side effect.

Back
Top Bottom