Are these all pullets?

Aliwe82

Chirping
Mar 31, 2024
Hi all, I messaged before regarding my lavender Orpington but now I’m getting a little nervous about my other chicks too.

My EE is HUGE! Makes me think maybe she isn’t a she after all.

My lavender still has me nervous.

I have 2 black chicks that are supposed to be Black Sexlinks but they look so different I’m not sure they’re both sexlinks…any ideas?

I’m pretty sure my Buff Orpington and Welsummer are both females but I’ll add pictures of them too for fun ☺️
IMG_7921.jpeg
IMG_7908.jpeg
IMG_7909.jpeg
IMG_7917.jpeg
IMG_7911.jpeg
IMG_7913.jpeg

Can't really see the comb of the EE, but since its color pattern is even, not splotchy, I think it is a pullet.

Black sex links, as hybrids, are quite variable. They can have lots of brown mixed in or just a little. They aren't usually pure black all over, but they can be pretty close to it. I believe yours are both black sex links, and definitely females as male BSLs are barred.

The buff Orp shows no signs of being male at this point. They can be late bloomers, though.

The Welsumer is a definite pullet. With their color pattern males and females look quite different when they feather out.

To me, the only questionable one is the Lavender Orp. It's comb is largish for its stage of development, but not large enough to say it is definitely a cockerel. It may well be a pullet. You're going to have to wait on that one because it could go either way. Keep your eye on its comb and wattles especially. Usually only a male will get a large, colorful comb and/or wattles before 12 weeks.

Can't really see the comb of the EE, but since its color pattern is even, not splotchy, I think it is a pullet.

Black sex links, as hybrids, are quite variable. They can have lots of brown mixed in or just a little. They aren't usually pure black all over, but they can be pretty close to it. I believe yours are both black sex links, and definitely females as male BSLs are barred.

The buff Orp shows no signs of being male at this point. They can be late bloomers, though.

The Welsumer is a definite pullet. With their color pattern males and females look quite different when they feather out.

To me, the only questionable one is the Lavender Orp. It's comb is largish for its stage of development, but not large enough to say it is definitely a cockerel. It may well be a pullet. You're going to have to wait on that one because it could go either way. Keep your eye on its comb and wattles especially. Usually only a male will get a large, colorful comb and/or wattles before 12 weeks.
Thank you so much for all of that great information! I’m really new to this so I can use all the insight I can get. I will keep an eye on the lavender chick, I am really hoping it’s a pullet.

The chick in the second picture is a cockerel, the chicks in the third and fourth pictures are cockerels (not sure if that is one chick or two chicks, they look almost the same). The rest are pullets.

Back
Top Bottom