1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Are these barred rock?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by davekrista, May 9, 2011.

1. davekrista

davekrista Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2010
    Uxbridge, MA
    Not really sure, they are 1 week, my husband brought them home for mothers day. He said he thinks they are barred rocks. And is there a way for sexing them? Right now we have 9 hens, all adults so hoping these are hens as well but if not it will still be ok. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Bantimna

Bantimna Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 29, 2009
    South Africa
    The chicks are a bit too young for sexing, try wait another 2 weeks.

3. schellie69

schellie69 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 8, 2009
    Kansas
    The look like barred rocks, I know a few members can sex BR at a young age hopefully the will post soon.

4. Schwartzfarmnc

Schwartzfarmnc Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2010
    West Jefferson
    They could be, but do you have a shot of their feet or a full body shot? BR's can be sexed pretty early based on certain characteristics but we would need better pics before stating a guess.

5. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

http://www.dominiquechicken.com/Sexing_Dominique_chicks.html

This
    link is good for Barred Rocks, Cuckoo Marans and Dominiques and has very good photos. And they do appear to be Barred Rocks. If their feet turn out to be yellow, they are Rocks; if white then Cuckoo Marans, but at this age, they'll have pinkish baby legs.

6. davekrista

davekrista Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2010
    Uxbridge, MA
    Quote:I will try to get a better pic of them. They seem to be laying in this position most of the time, when i clean out the brooder i will try to get one of their feet.

7. Kbagwell1

Kbagwell1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2011
    Augusta, GA
    These are definitely BR!!! I have several...with more in the bator!!

8. JodyJo

JodyJo Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2010
    Colorado
    [​IMG]

here is a pic of my BR when they were young, I don't see any barring on the wings of yours though,
    mine in this pic are only a day or so old...

along with a few Australorps, ALL roos....

9. halo

halo Got The Blues

Nov 22, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    Im not comfortable saying that are Barred rocks...maybe barred rock crosses. I would think there would be barring on the wings if they 100% barred rocks. Maybe a sex link of some sort.

10. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Sometimes, my pullets have that very fine barring at first, Kathy. Time will tell, though. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by