Are these berries poisonous

I'm terrible at plant identification, but can tell you they are NOT Pokeweed/dragonberry/poke sallet. Which I have the misfortune of being far more familiar with. They aren't a form of huckleberry or blueberry either - wrong leaf shape.

What region are you in, @AllyTCat ??? I don't see a location listed in your profile, and this is a query where geography might help eliminate a number of possibilities.
Southeast Texas

I agree, it looks a bit like something vaguely in the grape family. Also, Porcelainberry has some similarities, though the fruits tend to be much paler, so likely not it. Definitely not Muscadine, which I have in plenty. Those leaves are rounder, fruit is larger, and differently bunched.

OP, if you break the stem, is the pith white-ish, or more red-purplish?
White on the inside

3C526209-AACB-4304-9CA0-58C49CB2147A.png

I live in East Texas and these Peppervines are everywhere!! Must be the most invasive vine I have ever seen. The birds, squirrels and my chickens love these berries. I have eaten dozens at one setting, very sweet and tasty. I felt no bad effects at all. Chickens can eat anything but squirrels won't so if they are eating them they should be ok. The raccons and possums are eating them too at night. I have had to chase them off several times already. Kind of remind me of Elderberries. Animals love them too.

Back
Top Bottom