1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Are these Buff Orps? UPDATE: I FIGURED IT OUT! maybe...

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by ChrissyNC, Apr 25, 2007.

1. ChrissyNC

ChrissyNC Out Of The Brooder

Mar 7, 2007
    Richlands, NC
    I have 7 two-week old Buff Orphingtons, only as their feathers come in, they seem really dark. Do they get lighter as they get older? Here are a couple of them.
    I am also worried that this little one is a roo, but I will have to wait a few weeks to figure that out.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 25, 2007
  2. Critter Crazy

Critter Crazy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2007
    Binghamton, NY
    These are my Buffs at 3 weeks.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 25, 2007
  3. MayberrySaint

MayberrySaint Chillin' Out

Mar 7, 2007
    Mount Airy, NC
    They sure don't look like my Buff Orp chicks...mine only have the light gold feathers...nothing as dark as yours.

Andy

4. Saltiena

Saltiena Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2007
    Peach Bottom
    they don't look much like buffs, but they are REALLY beautiful, they look realy soft i want to pet them [​IMG] give them a hug fro me good luck with the search [​IMG]

5. mandolinmama

mandolinmama Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2007
    Urbana Missouri
    Here's one of my buffs at 1 and 1/2 weeks old (a week ago). You're look like the feathers are coming in much too dark to be buffs, but they sure are beautiful birds!!![​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. chickbea

chickbea Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2007
    Vermont
    Hmmm. They do seem dark.
    Where are they from? Can you contact the person/feedstore/hatchery to ask them?

7. mlheran

mlheran Chillin' With My Peeps

That looks an awful lot like my New Hampshire Reds when they feathered out... and not very much like a Buff Orp. [​IMG]
    NHRs are nice though, if you decide to keep it. It won't look quite like a BO, but I think you may get more eggs. [​IMG]

8. ChrissyNC

Mar 7, 2007
    Richlands, NC
    Dang!! I ordered from Ideal. They had shorted me one silkie, and gave me four extra of what I THOUGHT were BO's. (as well as three marked males for warmth) I specifically ordered more Buffs because they were supposed to be these docile, friendly birds. These guys are pretty, but flighty and don't take too well to my attempts to play with them. Do you think I can contact Ideal about it, and what would I say? You sent me the wrong birds? ARGH! [​IMG] [​IMG]

9. Critter Crazy

Critter Crazy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2007
    Binghamton, NY
    These are my three RIR chicks at two weeks old.

[​IMG]

10. ChrissyNC

Mar 7, 2007
    Richlands, NC
    I am an idiot! [​IMG] I was looking at my little ones this evening and that little lightbulb finally went off over my head. The three that were marked are the Buff Orphingtons, and the seven I thought were BO's, are the extra males, maybe RIR, maybe something else. But that makes sense since I was getting the feeling that most of them were roo's. They are starting to get really aggressive, even started pecking one of the others. How could I have missed this?! I guess I just assumed the ones that were marked by Ideal with green dots on their heads were the extras. Next time I will know better.

Here's one that I thought was an extra male, but is probably my lost Buff Orph.
    [​IMG]

And here's what they looked liked the day I got them, the mark threw me off! [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by