Are these Call ducklings boys?

quackkquack_

Songster
Jun 30, 2022
Hi again!
So I have a quick question,
I have six call ducklings, they are a mix of a Snowy and I think a Blue or Grey Dusky (not sure of her exact breed).
Here are some pictures of their parents:
Buzzard (their father)
1688841053418.png
1688841073719.png

Newt (their mother)
1688841103948.png
1688841321831.png
1688841121171.png

3 out of 6 are blue and brown like Newt and the other 3 are black and brown.
The three black and brown ones are Fawn, Jellyfish and Puma.
Here are some pictures:
1688841395439.png
1688841414308.png
1688841437304.png

They have all started growing their feathers on their head and I noticed the three brown and black ones have a green shine to their head.
I'm sure it means they are boys but I want to confirm, does this mean these three are boys?
Also, I heard one of them honk/quack, pretty sure it was Fawn (or Jellyfish, they look almost identical) which confused me since they have a green shine to their heads!

I'm crossing my fingers this doesn't mean they are boys but I'm sure it does, I was really hoping they'd be girls, or at least Puma be a girl! :fl:(

EDIT: The ducklings were cleaning themselves after swimming and I listened closely to Fawn (one of them that has a green shine to their head) and I heard her honk! Which is confusing the heck out of me!

Also Buzzard is pretty aggressive so what is the best way to introduce them?
Also the ducklings are gonna be 5 weeks old on the 11th!

Last edited:
I don't kn ow Calls all that well so can't answer that question but maybe @WVduckchick can since she has Calls. Or @shawluvsbirds or @Pyxis

As for intros the best way is look no touch side by side and can't give a time line becasue it all depends on the ducks .A large dog crate inside the coop so they can all sleep together. This is how I am going to integrate my 2 Runner ducklings into the Runner /Buff flock when mama says she's done[she is a Muscovy] They will sleep inside the coop in a large dog crate until they are accepted.
During the day I will be spending a lot of time outside with them to make sure they are not being picked on. Actually, in the last 3 weeks I have spent more time out than in watching for Snakes that like to eat ducklings.

Hi again!
I have six call ducklings, they are a mix of a Snowy and I think a Blue or Grey Dusky (not sure of her exact breed).
Buzzard (their father)
View attachment 3570565 View attachment 3570566

Newt (their mother)
View attachment 3570567 View attachment 3570569View attachment 3570568

Here are some pictures:
View attachment 3570573 View attachment 3570574 View attachment 3570575

They have all started growing their feathers on their head and I noticed the three brown and black ones have a green shine to their head.
I'm sure it means they are boys but I want to confirm, does this mean these three are boys?
Also, I heard one of them honk/quack, pretty sure it was Fawn (or Jellyfish, they look almost identical) which confused me since they have a green shine to their heads!

I'm crossing my fingers this doesn't mean they are boys but I'm sure it does, I was really hoping they'd be girls, or at least Puma be a girl! :fl:(

EDIT: The ducklings were cleaning themselves after swimming and I listened closely to Fawn (one of them that has a green shine to their head) and I heard her honk! Which is confusing the heck out of me!

Looks like you may have blue fawn and grey ducklings. That is their color, not their breed. 😁
The males and females kind of all feather out similar initially and will go through a juvinile molt in a few weeks and show their true colors.
The most reliable way to tell sex is by their sound. Females have a definate QUACK and males will go from baby sounding peeps and cheeps to a low raspy smokers cough sound seemingly overnight.

Looks like you may have blue fawn and grey ducklings. That is their color, not their breed. 😁
The males and females kind of all feather out similar initially and will go through a juvinile molt in a few weeks and show their true colors.
The most reliable way to tell sex is by their sound. Females have a definate QUACK and males will go from baby sounding peeps and cheeps to a low raspy smokers cough sound seemingly overnight.
Oh right, I dunno what I said breed, I was reading a lot about chickens and their breeds yesterday so I guess it stuck in my head 🤦‍♀️
But thank you for correcting me!

I used to see mallard ducklings molt into their true colors after a few weeks all the time (since we have mallards in our pond) but for some reason when my Snowy call Buzzard was growing his feathers, he looked like a male before he started molting (he had a green head and everything) but when I saw mallard ducklings, they all looked like females before molting and then some turned out to be males which was why I was asking if that meant my three brown babies were gonna be males!

But I guess I'll have to wait a couple or more weeks to tell their genders by voice!

Oh right, I dunno what I said breed, I was reading a lot about chickens and their breeds yesterday so I guess it stuck in my head 🤦‍♀️
But thank you for correcting me!

I used to see mallard ducklings molt into their true colors after a few weeks all the time (since we have mallards in our pond) but for some reason when my Snowy call Buzzard was growing his feathers, he looked like a male before he started molting (he had a green head and everything) but when I saw mallard ducklings, they all looked like females before molting and then some turned out to be males which was why I was asking if that meant my three brown babies were gonna be males!

But I guess I'll have to wait a couple or more weeks to tell their genders by voice!
Yeah again today I heard one of the boys quack (and I know for sure this time because he was by himself when he did it)!
Maybe it's just their voices changing but I never heard Buzzard quack when he was younger.

Hi again!
Buzzard (their father)

Newt (their mother)

Here are some pictures:

Try asking @dunkinducks she would know it might be hard to get a hold of her but if you can she would know also
If sound like squeek squeek squeek its a girl if it sound like SQUEEEEK…………..SQUEEEEEK its a boy

Hi again!
Buzzard (their father)

Newt (their mother)

Here are some pictures:

Hi again!
Buzzard (their father)

Newt (their mother)

Here are some pictures:

Here look at this https://www.wikihow.com/Tell-the-Sex-of-a-Baby-Duck

I have another question about one of my girls, Tokki.
Fawn and Jellyfish are definitely boys, they've got green heads just like their father and they don't quack.
Pike and Tokki both don't have green heads and Pike is always quacking up a storm just like her mother but Tokki doesn't quack, she doesn't peep like the boys either, she still sounds like a baby despite being the biggest.
I assume shes gonna be a quiet one. Maybe its just taking longer for her voice to develop?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom