Are these Call ducklings boys?

(Warning, sad and gruesome content is talked about in this post)

Hi guys..
I waited a few days before making this post. I didn't want to make a whole new thread so I just posted it here.
I really feel like the one to blame but let me explain..
We have a duck enclosure outside obviously. We use chicken wire so sadly snakes can get in but I've been saving up for better wire (specifically hardcloth wire, we are tight on money right now but its definitely getting better).
Our ducklings aren't allowed inside the house once they are bigger so they got big (almost as big as the adults now) so we put them outside.
The runts, Pika and Puma, were obviously pretty small since they were the runts but they had to go outside still.
The ducklings stay in a big dog crate in the duck enclosure and I let them out every morning and watch them so Buzzard doesn't attack them.
Two days ago I went outside to let them out and sadly a snake had gotten to the two runts, Pika and Puma.
The ducklings were too big for the snake which confuses me why it got Puma after it killed Pika (when I went down there, Pika was already dead and it was killing Puma but it was already too late)
I was able to get the other four ducklings inside including their parents too.
I've been crying about them since they died, they were the two ducklings I was the closest too since they trusted me the most, me and Pika would stay up late and watch movies together. I was also really excited to see how Puma would look like when he was older since he had a lot of black and he had kinda like a raccoon mask.
I was able to keep the ducklings inside for a little longer while I get the money to get hardcloth wire so nothing can get inside. The adult ducks, Newt and Buzzard, have to stay outside though but I've been watching them constantly and keeping my eye out for any more snakes.

I still feel like the one to blame, I didn't have the proper resources to protect them. Thinking about what happened that day makes me sick to my stomach.
I hope I can protect the remaining ducklings and their parents better.

Believe me it happens I had a 6' black snake hiding in the loft of one of my coops and at night it came down and killed and tried to eat one of my pullets of course all he did was suffocate it since she was too big to swallow. So when things like this happen It's heartbreaking and we blame ourselves. :hugs Hopefully the others will be safe until you can get the hardware cloth up and they will be better protected. I am so sorry you lost your 2 little ones.

Back
Top Bottom