Are these chicks ready to go outside?

clalso

Chirping
9 Years
Sep 9, 2014
I have several 6 week old chicks. I think they're California Grays. If you can tell if they are or are not California Grays, let me know. Anyway, for the last 5 weeks I've kept them in my garage with a 125 watt red heat lamp. I'm wondering if they look old enough to put outside. I live in the low mountains of western North Carolina. The night temps for the next 10 days are all above 50 degrees. I have placed a 60 watt red bulb in a metal shroud in what will be their outdoor pen. When I tested it last night (without the chicks) during the time it was 60 degrees outside, the light kept the area below it at 77 degrees. I'll include a couple pictures. Thanks for advice.

Attachments

• 20240429_111356.jpg
    20240429_111356.jpg
    453.2 KB · Views: 45
  • 20240429_111359.jpg
    20240429_111359.jpg
    479.4 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:
At 6 weeks old they are fully feathered out. I've had chicks slightly younger than those stay out without any heat in below freezing temperatures. They do not need that light, I'd get rid of it.

If they have not been in total darkness before they may freak out about that. I let them go and they soon settle down and go to sleep. The first night it is less than 15 minutes at most, usually less. The second night maybe 5 minutes. After that they go to sleep.

At 6 weeks old they are fully feathered out. I've had chicks slightly younger than those stay out without any heat in below freezing temperatures. They do not need that light, I'd get rid of it.

If they have not been in total darkness before they may freak out about that. I let them go and they soon settle down and go to sleep. The first night it is less than 15 minutes at most, usually less. The second night maybe 5 minutes. After that they go to sleep.
I had not thought of them freaking out in darkness. I will make sure they adjust to it a little at a time. Thanks for your answer!

Mine all go out at 2 weeks. No matter what time of year.
Dust, noise and smell are the reasons they must get out!
With a heat lamp of course.
I will use light bulbs down to a 15 watt sometimes before I discontinue the light altogether.
This gives them a gradual transition to natural darkness.
Good luck!
Thanks for your reply. For the 15 watt bulb you use, and those a bit higher, to wean them off the light, are you using a red bulb?

I dont own a red light.
I brood with a heat lamp, but use household bulbs. I start usually with a 75, then I reduce to 60, 45, then adjust when they go out
Once they are fully feathered its gets discontinued.
Even a dim light will be a comfort for them for while they transition to the new environment.
If you overcrowd or have picking problems is when a red light is necessary.

I dont own a red light.
I brood with a heat lamp, but use household bulbs. I start usually with a 75, then I reduce to 60, 45, then adjust when they go out
Once they are fully feathered its gets discontinued.
Even a dim light will be a comfort for them for while they transition to the new environment.
If you overcrowd or have picking problems is when a red light is necessary.
Thank you. Very helpful

Back
Top Bottom