Are these Delewares?

momofchicks

Songster
11 Years
Apr 23, 2008
Kentucky
I thought these two white hens were Deleware's but the closer I examine them the more differences I see. Please tell me what they are. Also I have this black one the I think is an EE but not sure if pullet or cockeral. My other EE cockeral had much bigger comb, but this is the only one that doesn't have a beard and has big wattles. They are all 17 weeks old.

pic 1 ( the black on her head is more pointed)

IMG_0705.jpg

pic 2 ( the black on her is more dotted and she has some on her back)
IMG_0704.jpg

pic 3
IMG_0701.jpg

Last edited:
The first one looks more like a columbian rock.

The second one is a deleware.

The third one looks like a black star but they might have used either rose comb RIRs or dominiques to make them more cold hardy.

Really? Wow, after I wrote this I was looking up more birds, I then seen a Combian Wyandotte and thought maybe #1 was that. Isn't funny, I had these since 3 days old and I have always thought the white ones were both the same. So if it is a Black star is it a pullet?

Speckled hen, when we had RC RIR's we crossed the males on barred rock and dominique hens and most came out with rose combs. I know a few other people that use RC RIR males on BR or dom hens and also partrige wyandotte roos on barred hens. I dont mean to sound harsh, its hard to type your tone lol.

You know, Michael, I didn't even think about rose combed RIRs since so few have them, so I stand corrected. Julie has them and they certainly could make sexlinks. Just never saw one is all; a black sexlink with a rose comb, that is.

Last edited:
It seems that I always learn something new on BYC
smile.png
. I am suprised the RC RIRs arent more popular, alot of the single combed RIRs have large conbs that are asking for frost bite. It would be awesome to see more rose combed sexlinks. We plan on making some red star type sexlinks with our gold pencilled hamburg roo on silver pencilled hamburg hens.

Sorry for stealing your thread.

That's okay, but after all this good discussion does anyone know what it is? The black one, is he/she an EE or some kind of RIR mix?

momofchicks, I really dont know myself, sorry! May have to wait a bit for her/him to get the adult plumage. They change so much over time. And if it's a cross/hybrid, it may be impossible to really say for certain. Sorry I cant be more help today.

neither of those chickens seem to be deleware's to me.

and i've got 8 fine specimens to rely on.

the barring on the second chicken is way to abundant to be a deleware.

unless it's not fully deleware or a really bad strain.

my girls look like this.

perch.jpg

Back
Top Bottom