Are these eggs alright? Help!

-Shade-

This Is An Illusion
Mar 27, 2021
Ardonia
So just a little while ago we had a hen that decided to go broody. She is one of three of our hens who always want to be broody. So we let her have 7 eggs. Around day 1 or 2 she got off the eggs and moved to another box. I don't know how long she was off them, but it wasn't that long because it was later in the morning and she had been there all night. And now today, around day 3 or 4, she wasn't on the eggs, she was out in the run. there was another chicken in the box, but she wasn't on all the eggs and there were several eggs in there that weren't the originals, which we marked. We had put a cloth up in front of the box, and it seemed to have been working perfectly well the first few days. I'm not sure what changed today. I kicked the chicken out that was in there and temporarily moved another hen that just went broody yesterday onto the eggs to keep them warm until she came back. Which wasn't all that helpful because she came in clucking angrily a moment later. I took the other chicken out and set her down in the box. And she stepped on an egg and broke it. there was definitely a baby chick starting in it, which tears me up inside, so I took the other eggs inside and put them in my incubator. Will they be okay?

Also, while I'm talking about broody hens, I need some advice about a duck. She has been spending a lot of time on her nest and she stopped laying eggs. She is young and has only just recently this winter started laying. But she gets off the nest and runs outside whenever I go in the coop. My mother thinks something is wrong with her or she is sick. I think she might be broody, but I have never experienced a broody duck before. Is she broody?

How long are they leaving the nest for? Both chickens and ducks must leave the nest at least once a day to eat, drink etc. As far as leaving the nest when you walk in that's perfectly normal even for a broody. Ducks especially do not have much of a fight instinct so the minute they feel danger, stress or disruption they leave for a bit and will circle back when they feel calm and safe. If your birds are pulling feathers into the nest and sitting for the majority of the day then they are broody.

So just a little while ago we had a hen that decided to go broody. She is one of three of our hens who always want to be broody. So we let her have 7 eggs. Around day 1 or 2 she got off the eggs and moved to another box. I don't know how long she was off them, but it wasn't that long because it was later in the morning and she had been there all night. And now today, around day 3 or 4, she wasn't on the eggs, she was out in the run. there was another chicken in the box, but she wasn't on all the eggs and there were several eggs in there that weren't the originals, which we marked. We had put a cloth up in front of the box, and it seemed to have been working perfectly well the first few days. I'm not sure what changed today. I kicked the chicken out that was in there and temporarily moved another hen that just went broody yesterday onto the eggs to keep them warm until she came back. Which wasn't all that helpful because she came in clucking angrily a moment later. I took the other chicken out and set her down in the box. And she stepped on an egg and broke it. there was definitely a baby chick starting in it, which tears me up inside, so I took the other eggs inside and put them in my incubator. Will they be okay?

Also, while I'm talking about broody hens, I need some advice about a duck. She has been spending a lot of time on her nest and she stopped laying eggs. She is young and has only just recently this winter started laying. But she gets off the nest and runs outside whenever I go in the coop. My mother thinks something is wrong with her or she is sick. I think she might be broody, but I have never experienced a broody duck before. Is she broody?
im thinkin the eggs will likely be okay, even if she was off them. as long was it wasn’t extremely cold out, they should be fine. if they’re in the incubator id wait till day 5-7 and candle them to see if there’s any development/ new development :)

That's good to know. I was worried when she got up the first day, but then today when the egg broke I saw that there was development in it (sad for the baby in there though). I just hope that there wasn't too much disruption today though. It has been rather warm and moist the past few days, so I'm hoping they are fine.

That's good to know. I was worried when she got up the first day, but then today when the egg broke I saw that there was development in it (sad for the baby in there though). I just hope that there wasn't too much disruption today though. It has been rather warm and moist the past few days, so I'm hoping they are fine.
fingers crossed for you and the eggs !!

Back
Top Bottom