Are these eggs fertilized?

VlkStinu

Songster
Aug 6, 2020
Czech Republic
Hi there, I am completely new to this, first time I am checking whether the yolk is fertilized or not. I've got a rooster recently and I think it is still too soon, but I just wanted to check out of curiosity and maybe see what an unfertilized egg looks like. What I found out though, is that the two eggs from today from two different hens look different - does that mean that one is fertilized, or are they both not fertilized yet and I am just not seeing it? :)

Attachments

• IMG_4296.JPG
    IMG_4296.JPG
    278.3 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_4299.JPG
    IMG_4299.JPG
    268.1 KB · Views: 22
Hi there, I am completely new to this, first time I am checking whether the yolk is fertilized or not. I've got a rooster recently and I think it is still too soon, but I just wanted to check out of curiosity and maybe see what an unfertilized egg looks like. What I found out though, is that the two eggs from today from two different hens look different - does that mean that one is fertilized, or are they both not fertilized yet and I am just not seeing it? :)
They seem fertilized!

The first one is fertile, I don't believe the second one is.
A hen will start laying fertile eggs after two days of being exposed to a rooster.

Wow, really?! That's amazing, I was watching my hens very often after I got the rooster, but got the impression there was no interaction between them - well, look at that! I brought the rooster on Saturday. The egg on the left, the first one is from the least dominant hen (so maybe she was mounted by the rooster sooner) and the second is from a hen that is one level above her. So are they both fertile or just the first one?

Wow, really?! That's amazing, I was watching my hens very often after I got the rooster, but got the impression there was no interaction between them - well, look at that! I brought the rooster on Saturday. The egg on the left, the first one is from the least dominant hen (so maybe she was mounted by the rooster sooner) and the second is from a hen that is one level above her. So are they both fertile or just the first one?
Yup! In some cases even the first egg after mounting can be fertile too.
I would say the second does not appear to be fertile. The first definitely is though.
Are those eggs from today?

Yup! In some cases even the first egg after mounting can be fertile too.
I would say the second does not appear to be fertile. The first definitely is though.
Are those eggs from today?
That's awesome, I am really happy. :) The first egg is from my favorite hen. :) The first egg is definitely from today, the second one though might be from yesterday as I found it in the coop very early in the morning and it was completely chilled. So since the first one is fertilized with certainty, I don't have to check these anymore before the incubation and I will try and snap a picture of a fresh egg from the second hen as soon as she will lay one - might be tomorrow.

Back
Top Bottom