Are these eggs hatching?

wiss0023

In the Brooder
9 Years
Aug 1, 2010
Wisconsin
I'll try to make a long story short. I am a complete novice at hatching eggs, but my standard cochin went broody a couple weeks ago, and after several days of taking her off the nest each day for some treats, attempting to get her back in action, I decided to give her some of my sisters fertile Welsummer eggs (5). She seemed like she really wanted to hatch some eggs, and I thought . . . why not let her. I didn't have any real way of knowing if the eggs were fertile, except for the fact my sister has a rooster in with her hens, and I did not separate my cochin from the other five hens (I was afraid it would stress her out). She has sat on them faithfully (my other cochin has actually also gone broody and they share the nesting box). The "fertile" eggs have been handled somewhat as I do have to go out once a day and take out any other eggs the other gals have laid, because even though other nesting boxes are available, they all seem to want to lay their eggs in my broody's box. So I know the conditions are not ideal, I candled them approximately 2.5 weeks into the ordeal (as well as I could being very dark eggs and having no experience), and threw out one egg that I could tell had nothing in it. The other four eggs I could see some clear areas near the top and bottom of the egg, but the center of the egg was just dark (no identifiable spots etc.). I went out today to feed/water and my cochin had gotten off the nest temporarily. I noticed two of the eggs had small indents and hairline cracks in them, one in the center of the egg, and the other egg had a crack toward the end of the egg. I looked at them (and yes picked them up although I probably should not have in hindsight), there was no smell, but one of the eggs had a little oozing from the crack. I checked my calendar and today would be day 23 since placing the eggs under my hen. I could hear no chirping or see/feel any movement in the eggs. Are these eggs pipping, or are they just bad eggs cracked under the pressure of two cochin hens? If they are pipping, I am guessing I should have left them alone . . . having picked them up did I kill them? Your responses are appreciated!

picking them up wont hurt them at all.

They may be pipping - but I'd bet they are not good. Normally they don't ooze when they pip.

The pip will be a distinct pushed out from the inside type of crack. It normally is just a small hole. You may see movement or may not.

Mom may have accidentally step on them when turning in the nest. If they are cracked they possible won't make it. Sorry. Try and use a flashlight to shine in the eggs if there is a chick you should be able to see movement. If it is pitch black then chances are they are pipping.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would not just crack one open either way. If it is bad you will have a face full of yuck.
sickbyc.gif
If it is good you could kill the chick. The hairline crack you see may very well be a pip. At first they are very small. So small my friend typically misses the fact they are pipped. I have better eyes and usually can tell. It could very well take 24 hours for the chick to hatch after pipping. I had one wait 36 hrs.
I wish you and the chicks the best of luck.

I think I'll give it a couple more days and see what happens. The terrible thing is, I don't really need more chickens (7 in town is plenty), but I think I will be disappointed if they are duds . . . I'll be tempted to go to TSC and get some day olds to put under her . . . is this what they call chicken math?

Back
Top Bottom