Are these eggs okay to eat?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by finnleyjo, Sep 1, 2009.

1. finnleyjo

finnleyjo Out Of The Brooder

Apr 1, 2009
    We went camping this last weekend and my BIL came over to check on the chickens and collect eggs while we were gone. Today when I went to give the chickens their treats I noticed that there were two eggs in their feeder (a hanging 5 gallon bucket feeder). I don't know how long they were there. We left on Thurs, and I found them today...one of them may have been laid today...but not both of them. I have 8 chickens and collected 7 eggs from the nest box today [​IMG]

So can I still eat these eggs or should I toss them? They could be as old as 5 days, and I think it was around 75 degrees or so while we were gone.

2. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner True BYC Addict

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    The eggs should be fine. Here's a link about storing eggs that may make you feel better about eating them. It is a long read but I think the findings are interesting. By the way, I always suggest breaking any egg into a separate bowl before adding it to the ingredients or frying pan to avoid surprises. A surprise can come in any egg, your hen's or one from the grocery.

Storing Eggs
    http://www.motherearthnews.com/Sust...ggs-a-Year-or-More-Without-Refrigeration.aspx

3. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    You could also do the float test if there is any doubt about them being old. If they sink in a bowl of water then they're good. If they float then they're old and should be discarded.

4. sillybirds

sillybirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 5, 2008
    California
    I wouldn't eat them myself. They would probably be OK, but why take a risk, especially when you're getting a lot of fresh eggs! I would, however, cook them and feed them to my dogs or back to the chickens.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by