Are these eggs okay to eat?

finnleyjo

In the Brooder
10 Years
Apr 1, 2009
We went camping this last weekend and my BIL came over to check on the chickens and collect eggs while we were gone. Today when I went to give the chickens their treats I noticed that there were two eggs in their feeder (a hanging 5 gallon bucket feeder). I don't know how long they were there. We left on Thurs, and I found them today...one of them may have been laid today...but not both of them. I have 8 chickens and collected 7 eggs from the nest box today
big_smile.png

So can I still eat these eggs or should I toss them? They could be as old as 5 days, and I think it was around 75 degrees or so while we were gone.

The eggs should be fine. Here's a link about storing eggs that may make you feel better about eating them. It is a long read but I think the findings are interesting. By the way, I always suggest breaking any egg into a separate bowl before adding it to the ingredients or frying pan to avoid surprises. A surprise can come in any egg, your hen's or one from the grocery.

Storing Eggs
http://www.motherearthnews.com/Sust...ggs-a-Year-or-More-Without-Refrigeration.aspx

You could also do the float test if there is any doubt about them being old. If they sink in a bowl of water then they're good. If they float then they're old and should be discarded.

I wouldn't eat them myself. They would probably be OK, but why take a risk, especially when you're getting a lot of fresh eggs! I would, however, cook them and feed them to my dogs or back to the chickens.

Back
Top Bottom