Are these emu eggs fertile? Hatchalong

Pics
The 3 1/30 eggs are supposed to hatch around Saturday or Sunday next weekend. From what I saw, all three are alive and wiggling. The new incubator is set at 96.5 to 97 instead of 98.5. So they may hatch a day or so later. Can only hope :fl
:fl hoping for for Sunday! I would love a baby emu to hatch on my birthday.

:fl hoping for for Sunday! I would love a baby emu to hatch on my birthday.
I’ll let the 3 know that someone HAS to hatch on Sunday lol

Of course I’ll be gone all day Sunday competing in a race, so not knowing what’s going on is going to kill me!

Ooooh and Willy laid another egg (#28). That makes 6 total outside and Goose is guarding them pretty closely now.

Last edited:
This is like taking care of a newborn human 😳 it doesn’t have friends or a dad to show it what to do for food. So I’ve been an emu for the last few days 🤣 glad I just started a job that is partially at home.

EDFDF470-E13C-4668-9369-3302E7611613.jpeg

This is like taking care of a newborn human 😳 it doesn’t have friends or a dad to show it what to do for food. So I’ve been an emu for the last few days 🤣 glad I just started a job that is partially at home.

View attachment 3025730
Single chicks are tough. What do you do at night? Have you named him/her yet?

Single chicks are tough. What do you do at night? Have you named him/her yet?
Little one sleeps in a brooder box outside behind our cabin. Kind of like an enclosed shed without a door. I made the box for chicken chicks originally years ago, but has since been used for all kinds of fowl. This is the first emu chick to sleep in there. At first I was worried about temps and such, but closely monitoring it and so far so good. One side stays about 70 and under the lamp it’s 90ish. Can’t use a brooder plate.
6C498347-8E28-485C-A9CE-9A50316844D7.jpeg

Then during the day I bring it in several times to make sure it eats and drinks. It’s been a struggle on the eating. It loves spinach, but doesn’t care much for the feed. So going to back off on the greens until it takes on some of the feed.
6FA4BA0C-42F0-433F-910D-D83B3966CE92.jpeg

My daughter keeps calling it Peanut, but I’m not sure that name will make much sense once it’s 6’ tall lol

I’ll be gone all day Sunday competing in a race, so not knowing what’s going on is going to kill me!
Once the dirt starts flying you will forget about hatching emus. After that then you won't be able to get home soon enough. Just maybe Goose will be sitting on his nest and 3 new babies in incubator when you get home with that big trophy you are going to win. Sounds like you just might have a very good weekend. Best of luck.

Once the dirt starts flying you will forget about hatching emus. After that then you won't be able to get home soon enough. Just maybe Goose will be sitting on his nest and 3 new babies in incubator when you get home with that big trophy you are going to win. Sounds like you just might have a very good weekend. Best of luck.
Thank you! The reminder to stay positive is always needed. This weekend will be interesting 😊

You know, if you didn't want babies, 29 emu eggs could feed a family of 4 for a year! Will Willy lay as well next year?
After having this little one, I could handle 11 more 😆 except for the part where I need to find a baby emu sitter for a day lol

Still working on getting a pen up in the cabin. Think I was putting it off not knowing if anyone was going to hatch.

Fortunately for the emus, I don’t like the texture of emu eggs. They’re far too boogery to eat for a year 🤢

Back
Top Bottom