Are these Golden Comet Hens?

dutchbunny83

Songster
7 Years
Nov 11, 2012
Fayetteville, NC
I went to a chicken auction today and got a pair of 2 Golden Comet hens.
They haven't crowed or laid, but they were acting a little aggressive.
They are also the size of my 3 month old pullets, much smaller than any of my 6 month old pullets or my 18 month old hens.
Just wanted to confirm, do you think these are HENS?

I don't know much about the breed but that comb and long pointy neck feathers make me think... Rooster... Don't quote me on it though

Its a mixed hen, I'm thinking Sexlink backwards, instead of the rooster being RIR or red rooster, the hen was. Due to the earlobe

Thanks, they are both definitely girls as they each laid an egg :)
Still unsure of age, they were being sold at auction as hens, which would make sense because people that raise just for selling eggs wouldn't keep her around after the peak of laying.
But we raise ours for fun, getting an egg a day or 2 eggs a week doesn't make much of a difference to me.
They are really pretty, I had never seen them before.

Its a mixed hen, I'm thinking Sexlink backwards, instead of the rooster being RIR or red rooster, the hen was. Due to the earlobe
Chickenman76, you caught my attention here with the earlobe/backwards thing? Are you suggesting a RIR roo x'd with a Hampshire (or whatever they throw into the Comet cocktail) hen?
What is the earlobe indication? New to chickens and you have me curious as I have 4 suspected "Red Comets". There are so many variences of this mix....
Shawn

Back
Top Bottom