Are these good breeds?

Hello BYC people!

I have a question concerning these breeds... FBCM, (or bbs marans.) SS and white leghorns.

1. What is your experience with them?
Loved them both! Good hea
2. Were you pleased with their egg production?
I only had my SS for a week, she was an adult though, so I don't know about her. My FBCM was good though
3. Do they brood? (I know LH are not known to brood.)
Mine never went broody
4. Or, what breeds would you recommend? I need a hardy bird for cold Utah winters and hot summers, good temperament and good egg laying.
Orpingtons are great, so are barred rocks and EEs
I'd love to hear your input. Pics and tips also appreciated!
Thanks in advance!

~Yard farmer~
I'll get a pic of my FBCM, I really want another one!
Were they good egg layers?
Sorry, my internet crashed and I wasn't able to post this

Loved them both! Good hea

I only had my SS for a week, she was an adult though, so I don't know about her. My FBCM was good though

Mine never went broody

Orpingtons are great, so are barred rocks and EEs

I'll get a pic of my FBCM, I really want another one!

Sorry, my internet crashed and I wasn't able to post this
Ok, thank you!

Darn. But, that's ok. I have plenty of brooding hens. 😅

I've had/have EE and BR. But, never an orpington. I'll definitely look into them!
I love the lavender color!

Okay. Let me know when you do!

No worries. 🤗
Thanks for your input!

If you really want eggs, Leghorn or production hybrids are the better choice.

I have 1 FBCM and had 1 SS. My FBCM is a sweet fluffy bird, but low production layer... the general trade off is the darker the egg, the fewer eggs you'll get. Her eggs were never very dark but she never laid well. Last year she had salpingitis so we stopped eating her eggs completely (I cook them for the dogs) and she likely had another infection this year, but is still around.

The SS was special needs (multiple physical deformities) so I can't weigh in accurately on how they perform.

Hello BYC people!

I have a question concerning these breeds... FBCM, (or bbs marans.) SS and white leghorns.

1. What is your experience with them?

2. Were you pleased with their egg production?

3. Do they brood? (I know LH are not known to brood.)

4. Or, what breeds would you recommend? I need a hardy bird for cold Utah winters and hot summers, good temperament and good egg laying.

I'd love to hear your input. Pics and tips also appreciated!
Thanks in advance!

~Yard farmer~
I have one SS, she started laying around 23 weeks I think, and hardly missed a day till she started laying in some bushes instead, and then sneaked off and has been brooding them for the last week. So far, she has been excellent at it.
Over all, I have found her to be very intelligent and self-reliant, but slightly on the flighty side.
She's had no problem with the winter here, but it only gets down to around -10C, and there hasn't been a hot summer since I got her.

They both have very good egg production and are very friendly breeds. Though laying an egg, is very stressful. And is equivalent to going into labor for 24 hours for each egg. Chickens should not be forced to lay eggs against their will. It in my head is torture.:(

Back
Top Bottom