Are these hens or roosters? I have heard both so was wanting some more info!!

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by cottonwood23, Feb 29, 2016.

1. StarMeKritten

StarMeKritten Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2013
    Moore County, NC
    Cockerel

Cockerel on right

Cockerel

Cockerel

2. MaisyBird

MaisyBird Out Of The Brooder

Feb 27, 2016
    Check their legs; if their roosters then they should have really noticeable spurs. Hens have little bumps on the back of their legs but males' are very distinguishable.

3. cottonwood23

cottonwood23 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 17, 2016
    Appling, Georgia

Thanks for all the good info!! I will keep all this in mind while I learn more about sexing these chickens

4. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    Spurs don't usually begin to develop until after 6 months of age. Some roosters never grow spurs, and some hens can grow spurs. It's not a reliable way to gender a chicken.

5. cottonwood23

Jan 17, 2016
    Appling, Georgia

They are all I think 4 or 5 months. Would they be that noticeable by then. I have looked but doesn't seem to luck any different

6. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    They are more like 3 months. The boys don't have clearly visible saddle feathers yet, those are usually very obvious by 5 months.

7. cottonwood23

Jan 17, 2016
    Appling, Georgia
    Well I am not sure of exact age. But regardless I was hoping for hens . I bought thwm from a local farmer so obviously straight run and that's the chance I took. I enjoy learning the breeds and figuring these things out!

8. MaisyBird

MaisyBird Out Of The Brooder

Feb 27, 2016
    Yeah I suppose that is true... kinda forgot about that, thanks for correction!

9. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    I'd suggest keeping a close eye on them. I had two brothers that were fine together (free ranged with the rest of the flock) until one day (around 3.5 months old) when the "young pretender" decided he wanted to be top dog. Within 10 minutes they had caused serious injury to each other - it came out of the blue (to me at least). Be prepared to cull any nutcases as aggression is not a desirable trait for breeding or you own safety.

CT

10. cottonwood23

Jan 17, 2016
    Appling, Georgia

Yea I kinda planned on that.. Hopefully they don't get to wild ha

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by