Are these hens or roosters? I have heard both so was wanting some more info!!

Cockerel

Cockerel on right

Cockerel

Cockerel

Check their legs; if their roosters then they should have really noticeable spurs. Hens have little bumps on the back of their legs but males' are very distinguishable.

Yep. Some differences to look for to help you spot cockerels in the future are males get red in the comb much earlier than pullets. Pullets don't start to pink up in the comb until they are over 12 weeks old. Also, pullets will have more even, uniform coloring/patterning. Males are patchier and flashier with their coloring. Dark red, specifically on the shoulder/wing area is a male specific trait. In another week or so the male hackle and saddle feathers will start to become very visible.

Thanks for all the good info!! I will keep all this in mind while I learn more about sexing these chickens

Check their legs; if their roosters then they should have really noticeable spurs. Hens have little bumps on the back of their legs but males' are very distinguishable.
Spurs don't usually begin to develop until after 6 months of age. Some roosters never grow spurs, and some hens can grow spurs. It's not a reliable way to gender a chicken.

They are all I think 4 or 5 months. Would they be that noticeable by then. I have looked but doesn't seem to luck any different

Well I am not sure of exact age. But regardless I was hoping for hens . I bought thwm from a local farmer so obviously straight run and that's the chance I took. I enjoy learning the breeds and figuring these things out!

Spurs don't usually begin to develop until after 6 months of age. Some roosters never grow spurs, and some hens can grow spurs. It's not a reliable way to gender a chicken.
Yeah I suppose that is true... kinda forgot about that, thanks for correction!

Males that are raised together will develop their own pecking order. There may be a few fights as they mature, but it shouldn't be too serious. If you've got one that just won't back down and is constantly starting fights, it's not normal. That is an early indication of a male that is going to be too aggressive.

I'd suggest keeping a close eye on them. I had two brothers that were fine together (free ranged with the rest of the flock) until one day (around 3.5 months old) when the "young pretender" decided he wanted to be top dog. Within 10 minutes they had caused serious injury to each other - it came out of the blue (to me at least). Be prepared to cull any nutcases as aggression is not a desirable trait for breeding or you own safety.

CT

I'd suggest keeping a close eye on them. I had two brothers that were fine together (free ranged with the rest of the flock) until one day (around 3.5 months old) when the "young pretender" decided he wanted to be top dog. Within 10 minutes they had caused serious injury to each other - it came out of the blue (to me at least). Be prepared to cull any nutcases as aggression is not a desirable trait for breeding or you own safety. 

CT

Yea I kinda planned on that.. Hopefully they don't get to wild ha

Back
Top Bottom