Are these lice? Why isn't the DE working?

DE took care of our flea problem right away for the cats and dogs. I rubbed deep down into their fur. Our black lab was light gray after.
lol.png
We just had to retreat the kitten after he had a bath because of an unfortunate poo incident. Apparently the bath washed off the DE and the fleas came back. It also seems to kill the maggots if I sprinkle it on the chicken poop, we've had a huge reduction in flies since I started using it regularly. It killed some of the lice, but not all. I guess the lice are so nasty they take poison to die. :eek:

I've found Sevin dust to be only a temporary fix. When I've used it, my chickens have gotten mites again sooner than I expected. I'm guessing the mites that weren't actually on the chickens or in the areas I dusted right at the time I treated them, and were repelled by the dust and hid out in cracks in the coop (Mites can survive without being on a chicken for a long time). I even tried spraying the coop with pymethrine as well, since there are a lot of cracks for hiding in one of the old buildings we use for coops. Still, the mites survived were back on the chickens far too soon.
However, I used Frontline Plus (yes, that's only labeled for use on dogs) last fall and the results were phenomenal! I put a few drops under the chickens' wings and by their vents. From what I understand, the stuff gets absorbed into the chickens' systems. Mites don't sense any danger, and they get poisoned when they bite the chickens. That way, even the 'hiders' eventually came out to munch and were killed. It has been months since we've had any mite problems. Hooray!
p.s. Some vets may not be willing to sell it for use on poultry.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom