Are these lice? Why isn't the DE working?

Andora

Songster
11 Years
Aug 26, 2008
Lexington, Kentucky
I first noticed them on my houdan pullet...her feathers had been suddenly looking ragged, and I looked closer and found she was crawling with tiny very light brown bugs. Her skin was coated with them! So nasty...

I found them on one other bird too (haven't held down the rest and checked them over good...) but she only had them right in her arm pit, not covering her skin like the poor houdan.

I dusted them with DE two days in a row. I completely coated the houdan in every single crevice of its body. I regularly put DE in my coop and run too, I always have. I'm not sure where the lice came from, unless the new birds I got a few weeks ago had it and it somehow moved across my yard?

After two days of DE the houdan still has lice, and now she has tiny scabs on her skin, plus some nasty looking crap under her wings. Why isn't the DE working? Should I just keep putting it on?

I've also read you can use Sevin dust, but my toddler holds the birds and gets in the coop, I'm worried it will get all over her. Her favorite bird is the houdan, and it snuggles with her every day outside...

DE I think is more preventative. If your one hen is infested, get 5% Sevin dust and dust her. It sounds like she's getting run down. Yes, it sounds like lice.

DE is very popular but I have known several people who used it religiously but their flock still ended up getting mites or lice or even both.

Sevin dust is excellent, it always works. Just like DE, be sure to wear a mask and shower after.. it's so powdery and floats all around.

To clarify on the kid comment above.. the mites/lice, if they are the poultry kind(northern fowl mite and bird lice).. they can and will get on you.. however they will fall off or die as they cannot live on humans. They can only live on birds only.

I'm so glad they can't live on humans, I was worried about that. My daughter gets the chicken near her hair all the time!
roll.png

I'll get some Sevin dust tomorrow! Do I have to change out all the bedding in the coop, or can I just mix Sevin in it? The run has sand in it, I don't think I could totally change that out even if I wanted to!

Just sprinkle on the bedding and their bath hole if they have one. Lice have to live on a chicken to survive. I would follow up with another dusting in a few weeks to get the ones that hatch.
It's not that bad. I was introduced to lice as I came in one day, sat down and got on the phone. I started to notice that I had them all over me! I just freaked. But I treated my chickens, and everything was fine after that. Most of us have had them (chickens, I mean)

I wouldn't be that worried about it except for the poor houdan pullet, she seems like she's all run down now. My birds also have IB and it seems to be a bad combination, she has the worst case of lice (the others just have a few) and she has a runny nose. She's been all puffed up (her feathers) and she's so dirty, she's not cleaning herself anymore. I don't think that's a good sign. She's still eating and drinking at least. I started her on Tylan 50 today. Do you think poly-vi-sol will help? Can I give it with the Tylan? Sorry so many questions...
hmm.png

I think vits is a good idea. But lice is a main concern. I would also give her some yogurt, and some high protein food. Poor thing. She needs some special attention.
I hope one of the more senior members see this and give you some advice for a run down chicken

Oh yea, if mites are involved as well, she might be anemic, as they live on blood.

Last edited:
I just recently bought some DE to treat for various things. Mainly fleas on the cats and dogs. I'm kinda disappointed because it doesn't seem to be working. Maybe sevin dust would be better...

Back
Top Bottom